Men’s tennis drops MIT in season finale

Men’s tennis rounded out its fall season with a 7-2 win over MIT Oct. 9, ending the three-weekend season on a high note. The team’s performance was followed by a strong showing by Felix Sun ’13 at the ITA Nationals this weekend, where the Ephs placed second overall.

The Ephs showed strong doubles at MIT, taking two of the three matches. Matt Micheli ’14 and Bryan Chow ’13 competed at No. 1 for the men, dropping their Engineer competitors 8-6. Sun and Trey Meyer ’13 were unable to follow up their teammates’ success, falling 9-7, but the team rebounded with Will Petrie ’12 and Zach Weiss ’13 dismissing the Engineers’ No. 3 squad 8-5. Courts four and five saw the teams of Dylan Page ’13 and Jay Mehta ’13 and Adam Reich ’14 and Charlie Hammond ’13 easily dispatching their respective opponents.

Sun set the tone for the men with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles early in the day. The men’s success continued as Micheli, Chow, Meyer and Petrie all defeated their Engineer opponents. The team’s only singles loss came at the No. 4 position, where Weiss struggled against MIT’s Edwin Zhang 6-3, 4-1 after an injury cut the second set short.

“[MIT] was our first dual match of the year against a talented team, but we were able to play tough doubles and use that momentum for a strong singles showing,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg said. “Overall, I think it was a great fall.”

Looking ahead to the spring, the team hopes to build on its positive momentum, as the men have improved with each match this season. “Our goals for the spring season are to be as competitive as we can in the conference and country,” Greenberg said.

The fall season, however, did not end for the entire team at MIT: Sun, thanks to his title win at the ITA Regional Championships Sept. 25, continued his season at the USTA/ITA National Small College Div. III competition in Mobile, Ala., this weekend. On Saturday the sophomore claimed second place in the tournament, falling only to Emory’s Dillon Pottish, 7-5, 6-1. The Eph’s finish boosts him above his coach – who placed third overall in the tournament in 2007 – for the best Williams finish in the tournament since 2002.

Friday saw Sun facing No. 3 Eric Shulman. Despite his opponent’s national No. 19 ranking, Sun dropped his opponent in straight sets. The Eph, despite being ranked No. 38 last season and entering the tournament unseeded, dispatched national No. 13 and second seed Sam Sweeney 6-2, 6-1 on Thursday to continue to Friday’s semifinals. Sun was the only unseeded player to advance past the first round of competition.

“Felix Sun’s run to the fall national finals this weekend was inspiring for the entire team. I think everyone’s ready to work hard this winter,” Greenberg said.