Volleyball cinches 2nd at Stevens Tech

Volleyball (11-6, 2-1 in the NESCAC) traveled out of the region this weekend, heading down to face teams from New York at the Stevens Tech Invitational. The Ephs went 3-1, defeating Baruch, Clarkson and Montclair State while falling to host Stevens and thus taking second place in the tournament. The team also dispatched Union on Sept. 28. Senior co-captains Kate Anderson ’11 and Emily Avis ’11 were also named to the All-Tournament team for their stellar individual play.

The weekend was punctuated by a 3-0 beatdown of Baruch College on Saturday afternoon. The Ephs thoroughly dominated their outmatched opponents from first to last, 25-17, 25-22 and 25-15. The team was led offensively by Anderson’s 12 kills in 25 attempts. Co-captain Eleanor Levine ’11 added a further six kills while also leading the team with six blocks. Defensive libero Aly McKinnon ’12 had 11 digs, while Anderson was a close second with seven.

Earlier in the day the women pulled off a hard-fought 3-1 victory (18-25, 25-16, 25-17, 25-20) against Clarkson. After dropping the first set, the Ephs came from behind to clinch the victory – no mean feat as their opponents were at-large qualifiers to the NCAA tournament in 2009. The Eph offense was in rare form, hitting .381 as a team. Anderson had a team leading 23 kills while hitting .400, with co-captain Nicole Ballon-Landa ’11 chipping in 12 kills while hitting a stellar .571 in the match. The offensive barrage was facilitated by the deft touch of setter Avis, who dished out a season-high 54 assists. McKinnon led the team with 18 digs, closely followed by rookie Emily Barratta ’14, who had a further 15.

On Friday, Williams severely outclassed Montclair State in straight sets 25-14, 25-12, 25-18. All 11 roster players played in the victory. The team received solid contributions from Emily Doll ’14 and Haley Eagon ’13, who had eight and six kills, respectively. Avis led the team with 40 assists.

In a tough 3-0 loss to host Stevens Tech Friday afternoon (25-19, 25-16, 25-22), the team struggled to put things together both defensively and offensively. Williams showed flashes of dominance throughout the match but came up short in its comeback bid. The team was led by Doll, who claimed ten kills in 17 attempts, good for an attack average of .471, while Anderson followed up with seven additional kills. Together the two tallied over half of the Ephs’ 30 total kills.

In a midweek match last Tuesday, the women defeated Union College 3-1 (26-24, 17-25, 25-16, 25-16) behind Ballon-Landa’s 14 kills on 29 attempts and attack average of .448.

Overall, the team has a lot to be proud of from the weekend. “This weekend was a good test against teams outside of the New England region,” Head Coach Christi Kelsey said. “We did a lot of good things but still have a lot of things to improve on as our team continues to gel and get stronger.”

The team will host New Paltz at 7 p.m. tonight before gearing up to host a NESCAC weekend. Williams will first face Colby at 6 p.m. on Friday before going up against Bates and Hamilton at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday.