Men’s tennis finishes strong at Dartmouth

Men’s tennis faced tough competition at Dartmouth this weekend. Three highly competitive days culminated in a successful day of singles play on Sunday after rough doubles play on Friday and Saturday.

Head Coach Dan Greenberg looked at the tournament as a good learning opportunity for the team. “We started off very slow, but got better each day,” he said. “We were frustrated at first, but by Sunday we felt like we learned from our losses and bounced back pretty well. I was impressed with all the guys’ performances at the end, just because confidence wasn’t great after the first two days, so they really had to dig in and compete.”

Will Petrie ’12 led the Ephs to their 8-7 singles record on Sunday, dismissing Julian Camacho of Amherst 0-6, 6-4, 7-5. Petrie went on to finish second in ‘D’ flight after falling to his Marist opponent. Matt Micheli ’14 showed marked improvement from earlier play this weekend, dominating Amherst’s Mark Kahan for his only win of the weekend. His doubles partner, Bryan Chow ’13, had similar success in his victory over Moritz Koenig from Amherst (6-2, 3-6, 7-5). Chow’s classmate Zach Weiss ’13 also notched a win on Sunday, good enough for fifth in ‘B’ flight.

Four more Ephs – Adam Reich ’14, Charlie Hammond ’13, Trey Meyer ’13 and Jay Mehta ’13 – rounded out the team’s singles showing on Sunday. Reich and Hammond tallied wins against their respective opponents in the morning before stumbling in the afternoon, each going 1-1 on the day. Meyer recovered from an early loss to dismiss Marist’s Jacob Solly and cap off his weekend on a high note, while Mehta concluded play with a loss to Amherst’s Tony Sheng.

Saturday saw doubles play wrap with all four squads finishing in eighth or above in their respective flights. Micheli and Chow fell 8-6 to Stony Brook for eighth, while a Dartmouth pair dropped Meyer and Reich 8-3, leaving them in eighth for the weekend as well. Hammond and Mehta couldn’t quite battle past their Amherst opponents, tallying another eighth-place finish for Williams after a hard-fought 8-6 match. Weiss and Petrie fared better than their teammates, dominating Boston University’s Alex Green and Jesse Frieder 8-2 for a seventh place finish overall.

Singles play opened Saturday, marking some success for Williams. Micheli, in ‘A’ flight, dropped to opponents from Marist and Brandeis, while Chow, playing in ‘B’ flight, rallied after an early loss to dispatch Middlebury’s Brantner Jones. Weiss topped his Dartmouth opponent before falling to a strong foe from Brown. Meyer, Reich and Hammond all also went 1-1 on the day, while Mehta fell in the first round before receiving a second-round bye. Petrie was the team’s standout of the day, dropping Ferdinand Brunet of Boston University 4-3, 5-2 before also defeating Amherst’s Dan Keolasay.

Friday’s doubles competition marked a difficult day for the Ephs, who went 1-8 on the day. Reich and Meyer dropped Middlebury’s Will Oberrender and Spencer Lunghino 8-6. The win balanced out the pair’s 8-4 loss to the same opponent earlier in the day. The teams of Mehta and Hammond, Chow and Micheli and Weiss and Petrie all went 0-2 on the day.

Greenberg also emphasized the value of the Dartmouth tournament specifically. “The good thing about the Dartmouth tourney is [that] we get to play a lot of Div. I players, where we can worry less about winning and more about learning and seeing where we can improve,” he said. “In that way, we now have a better gauge of some areas where we can get better.”

As the fall season comes to a close, Greenberg believes that the men have accomplished their goals for the season. “We did accomplish what we try to do in the fall, which is improve and get inspired for the off-season.”

Williams will round out its fall season with a match at MIT on Saturday. The men will play at 1 p.m. before retiring until the spring.