Men’s crew preps for short fall season

Men’s crew is looking to capitalize on last year’s success in its fall season. The Ephs claimed their second consecutive New England Championship last spring and capped off last season with the program’s first-ever win at the ECAC National Invitation Regatta.

Having graduated only five seniors – Pat Chaney ’10, Greg Ferris ’10, Crosby Fish ’10, Cameron Skinner ’10 and Chris Ting ’10 – in June, the team is in prime position to repeat last season’s successes, especially because only Skinner raced in the championship 1V boat. The loss of last year’s leaders will be tempered by the influx of rookies, as four first-years have joined the roster. Dan Kenefick ’11, Joey Kiernan ’11 and Jack Wadden ’11 will captain this year’s team.

The Ephs’ limited fall schedule includes three races over the next three weeks. Williams will kick off its season at the Head of the Housatonic this weekend. The Head of the Charles, which will be held in Cambridge, Mass., will take place Oct. 24 and 25, after which the team’s fall will conclude with an Oct. 31 race at the Head of the Fish in Saratoga, N.Y. The Head of the Charles is traditionally one of the most important races for the Ephs across both the fall and spring seasons.

“Our goal for the year is to win against a highly competitive national field featuring rivals Trinity and University of Michigan and then to carry that momentum forward to make a run at the prestigious Henley Royal Regatta in England next summer,” Dan Costanza ’11 said.

The men do realize that there are obstacles to these goals, however. “Our main challenge for the year is to … take our fitness to levels never before expected of Williams crews, but also getting on the water [and] bringing our technique together,” Costanza added.

Williams will spend the week preparing for the team’s first weekend on the water this Sunday, when the men will race in the Head of the Housatonic.