Sailing finishes 11th at fall opener

Sailing opened its fall season amidst fierce competition at Dartmouth this weekend at the 12th annual Chris Loder Trophy Regatta. Although the U.S. Coast Guard Academy came away with the cup, The ‘B’ fleet came in 11th out of 19 teams, leading the Ephs to a 17th place finish overall, good enough to bump the team to 31st in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s rankings.

Head Coach Rich Cote expressed pride with the efforts of the sailors at Dartmouth. “The team has worked hard to get back to this level of competitiveness,” he said. “Placing 11th in an event such as the Loder is a major accomplishment.”

Sunday dawned with absolutely no wind, and the start of the second day of races was delayed until noon, when a steady breeze picked up and continued steadily at 5-8 knots. The ‘A’ fleet of Josh Revkin ’13 and Emily Cook ’13 placed 18th in both races on Sunday while the ‘B’ fleet, sailed by co-captains Andrew Lorenzen ’12 and Elizabeth Dorr ’12, placed 12th and 10th in its first and second races, respectively.

Winds at Lake Mascoma, NH, gusted at 10-15 knots on Saturday, creating unsteady wind conditions. The course had to be changed several times in response to wind shifts. Saturday saw 12 races sailed in FJs, a 13-ft. long sailing dinghy.

The ‘A’ fleet found itself struggling during the periods of the race when the wind would die. Revkin and Cook faced difficulties in the downwind legs of the races. However, Lorenzen and Dorr sailed ‘B’ fleet and consistently placed in the top half, finishing with an 87. The pair’s best race came midway through the afternoon on Saturday, when they finished ninth just behind Mass Maritime.

“After going through a rebuilding period, it’s great to be competing in major events again,” Cote said. “I am very happy with the progress the team is making. Our experienced sailors are competitive on a national level, and our up-and-coming sailors are progressing faster than I expected.”

The team will sail again this weekend at MIT in the Smith Trophy and at Courageous-Sailing Center in the Ross Trophy.