Men’s tennis hosts ITA championship tourney

Men’s tennis opened its fall season this weekend with three grueling days of matches at the ITA New England Men’s Championships. The tournament, held on the Ephs’ home court, featured top players from Div. III schools from around New England competing in a 64-person singles draw and a 32-pairing doubles draw.

The first day of play revealed an incredibly young, talented Williams team. In the singles draw, Felix Sun ’13, the fourth seed, received a first round bye and then advanced past David Dessau of Trinity following a hard-fought first set and a virtually uncontested second (7-6, 6-0). Tenth-seeded Bryan Chow ’13 also had success, dropping opponents from Springfield and Bowdoin on Friday. Meanwhile, Matt Micheli ’14 dispatched both Ben Bogard of Bates and the seventh seed from Amherst in matching scores of 6-1, 6-3.

Other Ephs had more difficult mornings, with Zach Weiss ’13 falling in the second round to Middlebury’s Chris Schlabach in three sets (6-4, 1-6, 6-2). Trey Meyer ’13 was dealt a difficult first round loss by his Coast Guard Academy opponent, while Will Petrie ’12 was knocked out in the second round by a Middlebury foe (6-4, 6-1).

In the doubles draw, Chow and Micheli easily defeated their first round opponents from Mitchell but had to work harder to dispatch Bowdoin 9-7. The second-seeded pairing of Meyer and Sun ripped through Trinity in the first round before being knocked out by the Coast Guard in the second round. Petrie and Dylan Page ’13 had similar first round success against Trinity (8-4) but fell victim to the top-seeded Brandeis team of Nick White and Simon Miller 8-5.

Day Two brought another easy victory for Sun over his opponent from Middlebury. In a difficult quarterfinal match, Sun faced No. 5 Luis Rattenhuber of Amherst. Sun battled back after the first set to advance to the semifinals (1-6, 6-4, 6-4). Micheli played another impressive match, handing No. 13 Jeff Legunn of Wesleyan a two-set blowout (6-1, 6-1) before being knocked out in the quarterfinal by No. 2 Stephen Sullivan of Bowdoin.

On the doubles side, Chow and Micheli easily defeated the No. 4 pair from Middlebury 8-3 to advance to Sunday’s play.

Sun returned to the courts on Sunday and capped off a successful weekend by defeating the sixth seed 6-2, 6-3 to capture the singles crown.

Greenberg saw the weekend’s tournament as a great success for the team. “For Felix to win the singles title and Micheli and Chow to get to the semifinals of doubles shows our potential, especially given how young a team we are,” he said. “I hope we’ll all be inspired by this tournament and keep working towards improving as much as we can in our short fall season.”

The men will next play at the Dartmouth Shootout this weekend.