Men’s golf bests Midd., Manhattanville for 1st

Men’s golf shut down the competition this weekend at the Williams Invitational with an outstanding display of talent. The ‘A’ team posted a two-day total of 591, which skyrocketed it into first place ahead of Middlebury and Manhattanville, who tied for second with scores of 611 each.

Co-captain Bob Camp ’11 scored a 143 overall, good enough to earn him the individual title. His performance was highlighted by his stellar two-under round of 69 on Sunday. Following up on Camp’s performance was Jack Ervasti ’13, who scored a solid 145. That tally put him in a tie for second overall with Worcester’s Bob Bruso. Co-captain Jack Killea ’11 also got on the board with a comeback on Sunday, notching a 70 for fifth place overall after a 76 on Saturday. The remaining two co-captains, Jake Wagner ’11 and Drew Murray ’11, carded a 157 and 159 respectively to round out the Ephs’ lineup for the weekend.

Head Coach Rick Pohle expressed pride in his team’s win, especially in the men’s ability to power past Manhattanville after ending Saturday tied for first. “I was most pleased by the way we kept the pedal to the metal, so to speak, and posted better numbers on the second day of the event after posting very good numbers on Day One,” he said. “This is a reflection of the men’s mental toughness on the course and their determination to win – and win by a lot.”

Also impressive was the ‘B’ team’s performance, as the tournament’s location at the Taconic Golf Club granted the rest of the squad a chance to perform. The younger men followed the upperclassmen’s example, putting together a 613 to come in fourth overall.

“Having the opportunity to place a couple of teams in the event is crucial to the development of our program – you have to see what happens to a player’s game under tournament conditions,” Pohle said. ”I was curious to see how most of our younger players would react to their first college experience.”

The ‘B’ team was comprised almost entirely of rookies who hadn’t yet played in a collegiate tournament. Dylan Dethier ’14 led the team, posting consistent 75s for a total of 150. Close behind were Ross Bowen ’14 with a 153 and Jake Abrahams ’14 and Cody Semmelrock ’14 with matching scores of 158. Finally, Ryan Brand ’13 carded a 162 to round out the day.

“I was definitely nervous for the first round,” Abrahams said. “While I was excited, I still felt a little overwhelmed by the situation. On Sunday, I felt much more comfortable and shot the best round of my season [thus far].” The ‘B’ team’s scores showcase the team’s potential in the years to come.

After a great total of 300 for the first day, the men knew they had to keep focused if they wanted to take home the win. “Our mindset going into the second day was just to win our groups and if we played well as a team overall, we knew we could win,” Camp said.

The senior co-captain was especially thrilled with the win. “It always feels good to win at home in front of family and friends,” Camp said.

The men’s home victory will propel them towards the NESCAC tournament this Saturday and Sunday at Trinity, where they hope to earn one of the four spots in next spring’s Conference Championship and NCAA AQ. The team’s stunning display this weekend shows the other teams in the conference that they’ll need to bring their A-game in order to beat this unstoppable force.