Colby toppled by women’s soccer

Women’s soccer (5-1-1, 2-0-1 in the NESCAC) extended its winning streak to three with this weekend’s victory over Colby. The Ephs dominated the Mules throughout the game to emerge with a 4-0 victory.

The Ephs got things going early in the game as tri-captain Sara Wild ’11 scored on a penalty kick only 6:20 into the match, following a Colby foul against Annelise Snyder ’11. Williams continued to control the ball, and just ten minutes later, Wild netted her second goal of the game to put the women up 2-0. Two minutes later, Williams struck yet again as tri-captain Tyler Rainer ’11 scored her first goal of the season off a feed from Wild. The score stayed at 3-0 for the remainder of the half despite Williams’ total of 11 shots on goal during the first 45 minutes. The Eph defense also performed well, allowing only two shots on netminder Laura Wann ’14.

“Sara was phenomenal against Colby,” Head Coach Michelyne Pinard said. “Her superior athleticism showed, and on top of that she was making great decisions on the ball which allowed her to make everyone around her better.”

The second half remained tense as the Ephs worked to maintain their dominance and the Mules attempted to regain some control of the game. The half proved to be a tough one for Williams, with far more back-and-forth play than in the first period. Colby, however, continued to struggle offensively and was held to only two shots on the half and four on the game. At the 77 minute mark, Wild crossed the ball across the Mules’ defensive box, finding Kristine Nakada ’13, who put the ball behind the Colby keeper for her second goal of the season. Williams once again out-shot Colby, putting 12 shots on the Mules’ goalie. Julia Schreiber ’11 subbed in for Wann in the second half and closed out the shutout with one save.

“We were so excited to be at home,” Pinard said. “The pristine surface and the extra space really play to our strengths, and we used that against Colby.”

Saturday’s home victory followed a tough game against Western Connecticut State on Wednesday. Williams defeated Western Conn 1-0, with Brett Eisenhart ’12 scoring the Ephs’ lone goal 35 minutes into the first half. Connecticut State outshot the women 5-4 in the second half, but three saves by Wann along with strong defensive play held the score at 1-0 for the win.

Williams will next host archrival Amherst at 1:30 p.m. at Cole Field on Saturday.