Women’s soccer recovers from 3-1 loss to blank Oneonta 1-0

Women’s soccer (3-1-1, 1-0-1 in the NESCAC) won its third game of the season Sunday against Oneota State. The Ephs rallied for the win, coming off a tough 3-1 loss to William Smith the day before. Head Coach Michelyne Pinard describes the season as the “toughest early September schedule in recent memory.” The difficult schedule, however, was created intentionally. “We needed to play great teams so we could see any holes we needed to shore up before we got into the bulk of our season and then playoffs,” Pinard said.

Sunday’s game remained tense and scoreless until the 72nd minute, when Brett Eisenhart ’12 redirected the ball to score the only goal of the game for a 1-0 finish. This was Eisenhart’s fourth goal of the season and eighth point overall, making her the Ephs’ leading offensive threat. Annelise Snyder ’11, tri-captain Tyler Rainer ’11 and Caitlyn Clark ’13 also contributed a shot each over the course of the game. Laura Wann ’13 split time in the net with teammate Julia Schreiber ’11. Wann started the game in net for the Ephs and notched two saves during her 45 minutes. Schreiber, who has started three games this season, stepped in to relieve Wann for the second half and saw no action as Williams’ defense shut down Oneonta, holding the team’s one-goal advantage up until the whistle.

“We came into that [game] a little more desperate right from the start and played very well,” Pinard said. “We still need to convert on more of our chances, but that will come.”

Sunday’s game came on the heels of an unfortunate loss to William Smith, as the Ephs went down early on in the game to the No. 4 Herons. William Smith scored in the eighth minute, slipping a shot past Schreiber for a 1-0 lead. Chelsea Davies ’13 was able to respond before the end of the half, netting her first goal of the season off a pass from Hayley Cook ’14 and tying the game 1-1. Despite outshooting the Herons 10-2, the Ephs ended the half down 2-1 after giving up another goal with only a few minutes left. Unfortunately, Williams never got a chance to recover. Five minutes into the second half, William Smith scored the third and final goal of the game, snapping the women’s 45-win streak in regular season play. “We did some great things,” Pinard said. “We created a lot of great opportunities, but didn’t convert the way we would like to.”

Williams traveled to Springfield on Sept. 14, notching a 2-1 win in the team’s third straight road game of the season. The Ephs got off to a strong start, with Carla Nicasio ’14 scoring her first collegiate goal just 3:21 into the game to put her team up 1-0. The team put up eight more shots before the end of the half, while the defense held strong, allowing only two Springfield attempts on Wann. The game remained 1-0 in the Ephs’ favor until the 75th minute, when Bridget Gallagher ’13 notched an unassisted goal for a two-goal advantage. Springfield slipped one past Williams’ second-half goalie Schreiber at 89:47, bringing the final score to 2-1 as the clock wound down.

“Overall our goal is to get better every day and every game,” Pinard said when asked about the season. “Even though the Sunday result didn’t show it, I actually think we are doing that and are focused on the things that will help us play our best soccer in October.” The women will host Colby on Saturday at 11 a.m. in their first home game of the season.