Plymouth crushes men’s rugby 43-12

Saturday morning was punctuated by the sounds of collisions between Williams and Plymouth State. Coming off a pre-season victory, men’s rugby took the field with swagger and pride, ready to defend its home turf.

Unfortunately, Plymouth struck first, scoring a try in the 12th minute of play. A failed conversion kick left the score at 5-0 in favor of Plymouth. An intercepted pass led to another Plymouth score with a successful conversion, bringing the score to 12-0 Plymouth.

Williams remained strong despite the early tries, showing strength in the forwards, winning nearly every line-out and pressing the Plymouth pack on every scrum. However, the Plymouth players proved elusive on offense and questionable actions by the referee brought the score to 24-0 by halftime. As the game progressed it became increasingly apparent to the White Dawgs that the referee had sustained an injury to his medial temporal lobe. His memory for penalties and warnings of dangerous tackles failed him, allowing Plymouth to get away with some cheap shots.

Corey Benson ’11 broke through the Plymouth defense during the early minutes of the second half. Five opposing players were eventually able to bring him down just short of the try zone. The clean-shaven Brian Hartmann ’11 was then able to grab the ball out of the ruck and bring the tally to 38-5. A series of strong pushes by the forwards eventually allowed scrumhalf Tim Marrs ’11 to have the first score of his career. Chuck Toomajian ‘11 made the conversion kick, bringing the score to 24-12.

Continued questionable play by Plymouth allowed it to score once more before the end of the game, leaving the final score at 43-12 in favor of Plymouth.

Williams B-side took the field, readying to avenge the earlier loss. Aidan Lawrence ’14 left the opposing backs unconscious with strong tackles while Fernando Lora ’14 made defenders go gaga with his powerful runs from the wing. Williams again demonstrated dominance in the pack, forcing Plymouth State to resort to unopposed scrums. In the end the Killer B’s fell to Plymouth 12-0 but gained valuable play experience and a new hunger to overwhelm future opponents.

The men will next play at 1 p.m. Saturday, when they host Keene State on Cole Field.