Men’s golf rallies for 13th spot at Midd.

Men’s golf traveled to Middlebury for the Duke Nelson Invitational this weekend. Repeating their performance the weekend prior, when Williams finished Sunday in a come-from-behind win at the Bowdoin Invitational, the men finished 13th out of a field of 25 teams on the weekend with a two-day total of 640, shooting up 12 places in the field on Day Two after a disappointing first day of competition.

A final team score of 309 on Sunday was an impressive rebound after Saturday’s play left the men in 23rd place, far behind the pack. Co-captain Bob Camp ’11 led the men with a score of 73 on the day, while co-captain Jack Killea ’11 and Jack Ervasti ’13 finished the day with solid tallies of 79, despite a few last-minute errors that cost the Ephs valuable points. Co-captain Drew Murray ’11 recovered after struggling early on in the course on Sunday, shooting three under par on the back 10 for a score of 78. Wyatt Sparks ’13 rounded out the Williams roster with an 84 for the day.

The Ephs found themselves in 23rd place at the end of the day Saturday after posting a team score of 331. Tough course conditions led to lackluster results across the board: Killea led the team with a score of 80 on the day, while normally rock-solid Camp tallied a score of 81 after some putting difficulties during the day. Murray and Ervasti drew even, both shooting scores of 81, while Sparks trailed the pack with a final score of 88.

“I felt this weekend was a step in the wrong direction after our victory in Brunswick,” Camp said. “However, our play was not a total failure considering that we did make up several shots on the field with our play on Sunday.”

The men’s results this weekend will inform Head Coach Rick Pohle’s decision regarding which Ephs will head to the links at the Taconic this coming weekend, when the team hosts the Williams Invitational.

“We are very excited about this weekend,” Camp said, keeping a positive mindset. “The Williams Invitational is always a great tournament, and we love being able to play at home. Everyone will have a chance to play in the tournament, which will be the first test our first-years have.”

The Williams Invitational will commence on Saturday at Taconic.