Field hockey vanquishes Keene State

Field hockey (1-2, 0-2 in the NESCAC) fell 2-0 against Conn. College on Saturday after a come-from-behind 3-2 win at home against Keene State on Sept. 14.

Saturday’s showdown in New London brought frustration for Williams. Conn. College was able to score only 4:10 into the game off a penalty corner, as Abby Hine passed the ball to fellow Camel Britt Fitzgerald, who slammed the ball into the net. Although the Ephs were able to control much of the play after the goal, the women were unable to find a way to put the ball in the back of the net. The Camels outshot the Ephs 8-5 in the half and also earned seven penalty corners, while the Ephs won only two.

The second half brought similar difficulty for Williams as possession went back and forth, but the Ephs couldn’t find the net. Conn. College was able to score an insurance goal with 5:21 to play in the game, as a shot from Hine spun in off the post, making the score 2-0 and sealing the Camels’ win. Williams was outshot 5-3 in the second half, and Conn. College again had the advantage on penalty corners, earning five to Williams’ two. Conn. College remained undefeated with the victory, its third of the year.

Tri-captain Katrina Tulla ’11 had a solid game in goal for the Ephs with seven saves. Meera Sivalingam ’12 and Ariel Lyddane ’12 led the Williams attack with four and three shots, respectively.

Head Coach Alix Barrale made it clear that the women play an extremely difficult regular season schedule. “We play in the best conference in the nation, so we have to be prepared from an intense battle every game,” she said.

Tuesday’s matchup with Keene State was a far stronger showing for Williams. The Ephs started off with a bang as the team took a 1-0 lead on the first collegiate goal from Karyn Moss ’12. Moss scored in the circle off a pass from Sivalingam. The Owls responded less than two minutes later and were able to take a 2-1 lead 2:50 before the half off a penalty stroke.

The Ephs, however, refused to concede. Sivalingam was able to score an unassisted goal off a loose ball in front 15:32 into the half, tying the game at 2-2. She then found Nicolle Perry ’13 in front of the net less than a minute later, and Perry slammed the ball past the Owl keeper to give the Ephs a 3-2 lead. The team was able to hold off Keene State for the rest of game to claim its first victory of the year.

Williams next faces NESCAC rival Colby on Saturday at 11 a.m.