Amherst ties women’s rugby 5-5

After a frustrating tournament loss to Amherst last weekend, women’s rugby buckled down in practice with the goal of beating Amherst in Saturday’s league match.

Saturday dawned clear and sunny as the White Dawgs met the Jeffs on the pitch. With many players relatively new to the A-side, including rookies Stephanie Durell ’14, Jennifer Jauregui ’14 and Meredith Yang ’14, the White Dawgs put up a young team. The women put up a solid fight, with an even give-and-take leaving the score at 0-0 as the first half ended. In the second half, a series of plays on the White Dawgs’ try line resulted in a try for the Jeffs, putting Amherst up 5-0. Despite the Amherst players’ insistences that this was “their game,” Williams responded with a beautiful try by Casey Lyons ’11. The White Dawgs were unable to make the kick following the try, however, and the game ended tied at 5-5. Williams is hopeful that the team’s pattern of improvement will continue and earn the women a win over Amherst when the two teams next meet, which will occur during the spring season.

With the A-side match finished, the Killer Bs took the field. With a mixture of experienced players and brand new rookies, the Killer Bs nonetheless showed dominance on the pitch, scoring three tries to Amherst’s one for a final score of 15-5. The B-side scorers included Yang, Mai Okimoto ’13 and Gabrielle Joffe ’11. Isabel Vazquez ’14 also made some excellent runs for the women in her first match ever.

Williams will next host Norwich on Saturday at 11 a.m.