Women’s golf preps for success in fall opener

After a seventh place finish at nationals last spring – the highest the team has ever placed – women’s golf is looking forward to building upon its past success with a new influx of talent.

Despite graduating four seniors last year, including Anne O’Leary ’10, who had played in every tournament during her four years at the College, Head Coach Erika DeSanty is optimistic about both the team and the potential of her first-year players. The team’s newcomers include Georgiana Salant ’14, Alex Groetsema ’14 and Emily Wickstrom ’14.

“Georgiana, Emily and Alex are all extremely talented, and I’m confident they will contribute to the lineup right away,” DeSanty said.

DeSanty is also expecting a lot from several of her returning players, including Becky Miller ’13 and standout Victoria Student ’13, the only returning player who competed in every tournament last year. Four seniors also hold places on the roster, and although DeSanty will again not declare any captains this year, each of them will play an important role on the team. The experience that these Ephs bring to the course will be crucial in leading the first-year golfers this season. There are 11 players currently on the roster, and DeSanty is hoping to find three or four consistent players for the five-person lineup at each tournament.

For DeSanty, the team’s impressive finish at nationals last spring has paved the way for more success in the future. “For last year’s seniors, it was a great accomplishment to leave with their best record ever,” she said. “More importantly, however, it proved to the underclassmen that this program is going to make great strides.”

Although the team began practicing together just last week, DeSanty noted that the golfers seemed to connect instantly. “We’ve only had a couple days of practice, but the chemistry is absolutely there,” she said.

Additionally, her goal for the season is to see the team members push each other to improve. “I’m hoping the team will really support one another. Last year at nationals our players really wanted to succeed for each other, and we’re hoping to recreate that feeling again this season.”

The team will open its fall season on Saturday on the first day of the Dartmouth Invitational. “There will be a mix of Div. I, II and III schools at Dartmouth, so we’re excited to see how well we can do against some bigger competition,” DeSanty said. “We have some incredibly talented golfers this year, and I’m ready to see what they can really do.”

The team will play in five tournaments this fall, including the Williams Fall Classic on Oct. 9 and 10. Fall play will end with the Wesleyan Invitational later that month.