Williams College mourns the death of Henry Lo ’11

Yesterday afternoon, family and friends mourned the passing of Henry Lo ’11 at his hometown in Flushing, N.Y. Last Thursday, friends and classmates honored and remembered Lo at a prayer service at Exeter College in Oxford. The burial will be held in Flushing today.

In a June 6 e-mail, President Falk informed the campus that Lo, a member of the Williams-Exeter Programme at Oxford (WEPO), died in an avalanche that had occurred earlier that day in Switzerland. During the avalanche, Amy Nolan ’11 sustained head trauma. The two students had been on a weekend hiking trip in the Swiss Alps with seven other WEPO students and two full-time Oxford students. The group was hit by an avalanche in an overpass near the town of Frutigen.

Nolan was airlifted to a hospital in Bern, where she remains in stable condition with family. The other students, unharmed, returned to Oxford on Monday evening to complete the three remaining weeks of the term.

Lo was a math and religion major noted by his classmates for his selflessness and generosity. “We cannot begin to express how deeply we miss Henry, and it is difficult to imagine our lives without him,” WEPO classmates said in a tribute at the prayer service. “We will remember Henry most for his good cheer, his deep curiosity and his great sense of humor.”

According to Jim Kolesar, assistant to the president for public affairs, the College learned of the accident shortly before Commencement began on June 6. “Because of the accident’s remote location, it took some hours to learn details,” he said. He added that “people who were on the ground there in Switzerland have high praise for the work of the Swiss rescue team.”

One comment

1. Pingback: Alexander