North Academic Building named Hollander Hall

In a campus-wide e-mail sent last Friday, President Falk announced that the North Academic Building has been officially named Hollander Hall. Richard and Jackie Hollander named the building in honor of their sons Adam and Jordan Hollander, both members of the Class of 2010.

Falk said in his e-mail that the Hollanders funded the construction of the building in one of the largest donations made to the Williams Campaign, which ended in December 2008 after raising more than $500 million over five years. The Hollanders had requested that the donation remain anonymous until their sons’ graduation.

“I think the reason [my parents] chose to focus on this construction project was out of great respect for[former President] Morty [Schapiro], who was the one that introduced them to the idea,” Adam Hollander said. “In addition, they liked the idea of contributing something that would get a lot of use and was at the core of the campus.”

According to Adam Hollander, he and Jordan had been aware of the donation since the end of their sophomore year. “My parents are both big believers in the liberal arts education and teaching students how to think,” he said. “I think their philanthropic nature coupled with their gratitude for the education and experience that Williams has given Jordan and me is what inspired them to make such a generous contribution.”

Hollander Hall was completed in 2008 and currently houses classrooms, language facilities, an archaeology lab, faculty members’ offices and study spaces. Along with Schapiro Hall, built simultaneously to serve similar purposes, Hollander Hall is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certified for its sustainable design.

“Hollander Hall is critical to Williams both for the simple things that it does – providing office and classroom space for students and faculty – and in the extraordinary way in which it does it, by putting an emphasis on community in every element of its architecture,” Falk said. “I am very grateful to the Hollander family for their crucial leadership in making this magnificent building a reality.”