Ninth-ranked women’s golf scores 628 en route to second place finish

Women’s golf, ranked ninth nationally, hosted the Williams Invitational at Taconic last weekend and finished in second place with a score of 628, just behind first-place Amherst’s 626 result. Wellesley finished a distant third with a score of 643. The team’s last regular season tournament of the year also marks its only home tournament of the spring season.

Amherst’s Hayley Milbourn won the individual title with a score of 151.

Head Coach Erika DeSanty was pleased with her team’s effort and second-place result last weekend. “This weekend was a complete team effort, proving the depth and potential we have,” she said.

The Ephs entered Sunday in second place. Becky Miller ’13, who finished second individually in the Jack Leaman Invite April 17-18, continued to play well as she shot a 155 overall to finish on top for the Ephs and tied in sixth individually. Mary Gelber ’10 and Kait O’Brien ’10 also posted impressive scores for the Ephs, playing strong rounds on Sunday to end the weekend with a 156 and a 167, respectively.

“Becky is playing with confidence and she should be,” DeSanty said when asked about the rookie’s standout performance the past few weeks.

Kristen Nottebohm ’10 marked one of her career best rounds of golf this weekend, posting a score of 170 to contribute to Williams’ second-place finish. DeSanty highlighted Nottebohm’s success. “I am so happy for Kristin,” she said. “Earlier on this season she committed herself to becoming more consistent and she has done that. She deserved a great ending to a successful [collegiate] career.”

DeSanty was also enthusiastic about the team’s performance on Sunday and general betterment throughout the season. “I am thrilled by the improvement and growth we have made as individuals and as a team this spring,” she said. “Mary [Gelber] and Kait [O’Brien] both had a great [weekends]. I hope they walked off the course more confident in their games and knowing just how important they are to the overall success of our team.”

Williams ended the first day of competition in second, shooting a 314 to just miss first-place Amherst’s 308. The women did outshoot St. Lawrence’s 319 result and Wellesley’s 327 on the day. The team’s Saturday result marks a new team record, edging out the old record of a 318 total score. Victoria Student ’13 performed remarkably for the Ephs on Saturday, shooting a 75 to end the day tied for first individually with two Middlebury golfers, Flora Weeks and Keely Levins.

“We are peaking at just the right time, and as a coach I couldn’t ask or hope for anything more than that,” DeSanty said. ‘To have our entire team on the course competing [this weekend] was truly special for me.”

The team is waiting to hear back from the NCAA committee on whether or not it has received an at-large bid to the tournament. The Williams Invitational marked the last regular season tournament for the women’s spring season. If the Ephs do not receive an NCAA bid, they will return to the links next fall in the hopes of building off of the strong foundation provided by this year’s results. Though the team will graduate four seniors this spring, nine strong returning players ensure that the team’s success will continue next season.