Men’s tennis conquers Colby, Bowdoin for perfect weekend

Men’s tennis (7-4, 4-1 in the NESCAC), ranked 12th in the country, beat Colby 9-0 last Sunday after downing No. 13 Bowdoin 7-2 on Saturday. The wins come on the heels of a 9-0 sweep of Wesleyan on April 20.

Williams came out firing in the doubles matches against Colby on Sunday. The No. 1 team of Dicken Chaplin ’12 and Bryan Chow ’13 played a tough match, coming back from being down 7-4 to win 9-7. At No. 2, co-captain Nick Lebedoff ’10 and Will Petrie ’12 bombarded their opponents with crisp ground strokes and penetrating volleys en route to an 8-2 victory. At No. 3, Felix Sun ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13 blazed past Colby 8-0 with their quickness and execution, keeping Williams perfect through doubles play.

The Ephs carried their momentum from doubles into their singles play. At No. 1, Sun obliterated his opponent 6-1, 6-0 in a quick match. Lebedoff sat out singles play due to injury. Meanwhile, co-captain Jeremy Weinberger ’10 prevailed at No. 2, coming out on top 6-3, 6-4 in a tough battle. At No. 3, Petrie’s explosive forehand propelled the star sophomore to a 6-2, 6-3 victory. Chow dominated the fourth match with a 6-0, 6-1 win, as Weiss quickly defeated his opponent 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5. Meyer delivered a double bagel in sixth, winning 6-0, 6-0.

The more significant win of the weekend came against No. 13 Bowdoin on Saturday, as the men claimed their first win against a top-25 team this season. The Ephs, set on spoiling the Polar Bears’ alumni weekend, handled the loud away crowd with poise. The Ephs jumped to a 2-1 lead after doubles – as Chaplin and Chow fell 8-1 at No. 1 while the teams of Lebedoff and Petrie and Sun and Meyer prevailed in their respective matches – and never looked back.

The most exciting match of the day featured singles No. 1 Lebedoff battling Bowdoin’s star Stephen Sullivan. Lebedoff lost the first set 2-6 but came roaring back to win the second 6-4. Up 5-3 in the third, Sullivan appeared to have the match firmly in hand, but Lebedoff, known for his grit and all-day mentality, saved a match point and won in a tie breaker 7-6(5) to claim the three-set victory.

Sun cruised to an easy 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 2, while No. 3 Weinberger played great tennis to win 6-3, 6-3. No. 4 Petrie lost 6-4, 6-2, but wins in the fifth and sixth positions, with Chow grinding his way to a 6-4, 6-3 decision and Weiss overpowering his opponent in a 6-1, 6-4 win, gave Williams a 7-2 win on the day.

Williams’ first victory of the week came against NESCAC rival Wesleyan on April 20, when the Ephs dominated all nine matches for the win. No doubles team lost more than three games, and four of the six singles players won at least one set 6-0.  Sun’s 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles, in addition to his dominant wins against Colby and Bowdoin, put his games won versus games lost record at 36-2 for the week.

Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 was impressed with his team’s focus last weekend. “We knew this was a big weekend for us,” he said. “We really responded well to the tough Bowdoin atmosphere. Our doubles is looking good.”

Lebedoff felt that the team had finally hit its groove. “The team showed great grit and competitiveness this weekend,” he said. “I’m very happy with the way the guys are coming together to play our best tennis.”

Weinberger echoed Lebedoff’s excitement. “We’re fired up after a good weekend,” the lefty said. “We’re ready to bring the energy during the final stretch of our season.”

The men will face off against Trinity this afternoon, after which Hamilton will arrive on campus for a 10 a.m. match Saturday. The team will round out the regular season with a 1 p.m. home match against Middlebury Sunday.