Zilkha Center replaces food coordinator

The Zilkha Center for Environmental Initiatives has hired Katharine Millonzi as its new sustainable food program manager. She fills the position vacated by Lori van Handel earlier this year.

Millonzi will manage the Zilkha Center’s Sustainable Food and Agriculture Initiative, which is funded by a grant from the Joyce and Irving Goldman Family Foundation. According to Stephanie Boyd, director of the Zilkha Center, “the goal of the Sustainable Food and Agriculture Program at Williams College … is to support the development of a sustainable food culture at Williams.”

To fill the position, the Zilkha Center formed a search committee that consisted of Boyd; Darra Goldstein, professor of Russian; Bob Volpi, director of Dining Services; Jennifer French, director of the Center for Environmental Studies and professor of Spanish; and Amy Johns, environmental analyst. According to Boyd the position was advertised both locally and nationally.

“Katharine brings to the Williams College community an integrative approach to addressing the ecological-cultural-financial issues that interrelate the formidable food sustainability challenges of our time,” a Zilkha Center press release reads. “Her vision for Williams is to connect people to the critical implications of our collective food choices as well as with the pleasures of the table as we work toward developing a sustainable food culture.”

Millonzi is a co-founder of both BioVision 2020, a public education platform on GMOs, and Organic Partners, a U.K.-based organic fair-trade company. She has also worked on a USAID-sponsored public health project in Africa. Additionally, she has collaborated both with Slow Food USA, an organization that supports the preservation of regional cuisine and agriculture, and the New Amsterdam Market, a socially progressive public food market in New York.

The press release calls Millonzi an “eco-gastronome, ethno-botanist and anthropologist.” She held a Fulbright fellowship in 2007-08 to study modes of traditional food production in Italy. Her educational background also includes a B.A. from the University of London in social anthropology and international development, as well as an M.A. in food culture and communications from the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Italy. She is originally from New York.

Millonzi was unavailable for comment in time for press.