Women’s track sprints atop of Little 3

Competing amid freezing showers and lightening threats this weekend, Williams dominated rivals Amherst and Wesleyan to win the Little Three championships for the 25th year in a row. The Ephs stormed away from their rivals with ease, totaling 183 points to Amherst’s 122 and Wesleyan’s 84.

“With Little Threes being a home meet this year the team was excited to compete on a familiar track,” Assistant Coach Mitchell Baker said. “The inclement weather didn’t particularly hold any performances back, although it did pose a challenge to overcome.”

The clear disparity between the teams’ points scored on the day did not escape Baker. “[This year’s decisive win] helps highlight the strength of the team,” Baker said.

The first running event of the day put the Ephs in the lead with a group effort, as tri-captain Elise Johnson ’10, Hillary Higgs ’12, Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and tri-captain Katie DuPre ’10 ran a 50.85 in the 3×100 meter relay to finish in first. The winning continued for the sprinters throughout the day. Higgs snatched a double victory in the 200 and 400 meter races, with Rebecca Fine ’13 on her heels in second in the 400, while Johnson won the 100-meter hurdles. Tri-captain Nora Mitchell ’10 ran to first in the 400-meter hurdles in an ECAC qualifying time of 1:05.04 as the team nearly swept the 400-meter hurdles: Maya Harawaka ’12 followed Mitchell for second, while Dupre took fourth, Sara Guillot ’11 claimed sixth and Johnson rounded out the Ephs’ dominance in seventh.

“Both Higgs and Johnson won their events by a very large margin, and although the times were not the best of the season, their dominance over the competition is definitely something to remark on,” Baker said.

The women also posted strong times in the longer distances. Lizzy Danhakl ’11, Olga Kondratjeva ’10 and Jessica Clarke ’10 secured the top three spots in the 800 meter, running ECAC qualifying times of 2:17.71, 2:18.07 and 2.19.16 respectively. Danhakl also scored in the 1500 meter, clocking in at 4:41.15 for second place just above teammate Celeste Berg ’13, who finished in 4:53.15. Bret Scofield ’10, Sarah Tory ’11 and Elleree Erdos ’12 finished on top for the Ephs in the 5000 in fourth, fifth and sixth as Erdos shattered her previous personal record by 27 seconds for a new low time of 18:42.41. Rounding out the running was Elly Teitsworth ’10, who ran a remarkable race in the steeple chase: She finished over a minute ahead of the second place runner with a time of 11:26.95 to set a new meet record.

Williams dominated the field events as well. Hoffler, Karyn Moss ’12 and Brooke Johnson ’13 finished 1-2-3 in the long jump, all with Div. III New England qualifying leaps. They repeated the podium-sweeping feat in the triple jump, with third place Moss jumping over a meter further than the fourth place competitor as winner Hoffler landed at 11.79 meters to provisionally qualify for Nationals. Julie Paschal ’13 also grabbed a win, clearing 1.67 meters in the high jump.

In the throws, Julia Cohan ’11 won the javelin with a 32.31-meter throw. Eileen Becker ’12, Madeleine Watson ’12 and Cohan took second through fourth, respectively, in the shot put. Jasmine Adekoya ’13 and Watson finished first and second in the discus, with Adekoya qualifying for ECACs with a throw of 37.57 meters. Finally, Watson, Kathryn Evans ’12 and Becker finished second through fourth in the hammer, scoring even more points to help the Ephs’ destruction of the field on the muddy day.

Although he was quick to praise individual performances, Baker pointed out that in order for the Ephs to succeed during the rest of the season, the whole team will need to come together and perform well. “From here on out, the team score is what matters at every meet,” he said. “The coaches now have to juggle around entries to make sure we show our strongest against some tough competition from Middlebury and MIT in the coming meets.”

“The Little Three meet showcased our team’s competitiveness,” DuPre said. “We raced well as a team, posting some solid qualifying marks for the NESCAC Championship this weekend.”

Championship season is in full swing: The women will compete at Tufts for the NESCAC championship this upcoming weekend.