Women’s golf places third at Leaman Invite

Following an impressive second place team finish in the Vassar Invitational on April 10-11, women’s golf took third at the Jack Leaman Invite last weekend with a score of 673. The team came in just behind Little Three rivals Wesleyan and Amherst, who shot 659 and 669, respectively.

“We’re definitely satisfied with the result,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said. “We’re close to being very good … The good news is that all of our scores since returning from spring break, last weekend’s were the best. For the most part we’re moving in the right direction, improving every day, which has been our goal since the beginning.”

Sunday saw the women in third place heading into the second day of the tournament. A standout performance by Becky Miller ’13 helped the women to hold their third-place position throughout the day: Miller’s two days combined for a 161, which earned her second place overall among individuals. The rookies led the way as Miller’s classmate Victoria Student ’13 also scored well for the Ephs, shooting an 85 on the day for a 165 overall and 12th place individually. Mary Gelber ’10 and Anne O’Leary ’10 also contributed to the team’s impressive showing. Gelber posted an 82 on Sunday to complement her 89 from Saturday, while O’Leary finished her weekend with a 176 overall.

On Saturday, Miller and Student each posted a score of 80, which tied them in first overall not only with each other, but also with Amherst’s Elizabeth Monty and Holy Cross’s Megan Doherty. Gelber, O’Leary and Aimee Weber ’11 rounded out Saturday’s scoring Ephs.

Desanty is excited by strong play from some unexpected sources. “It’s absolutely great to have such strong play from the freshmen,” she said. “Becky and Victoria are two freshmen who have been in the line-up very consistently. Victoria has been consistent for us throughout, playing in all but one tournament, and Becky had her best play of the season this weekend.”

According to DeSanty, the team’s depth will be essential for the Ephs in this year’s championship events. “It’s encouraging for the future, but especially for the coming weekend,” she said. “They understand how much their contributions mean for the team.”

The women also claimed second place at the Vassar Invitational April 10-11. Amherst claimed first, shooting 670 overall, while Williams was just behind with 676, while host Vassar took third at 681. Student led the Ephs on the weekend, shooting 163 to finish second overall while O’Leary tied for third with Wellesley’s Kim Eaton. Both Student and O’Leary showed marked improvement from Saturday’s performance. On Sunday Student jumped from eighth to second, while O’Leary was in sixth at the end of the first day of competition.

The women will host the Williams Invitational in their last regular season competition of the season this weekend. Tee times this weekend will be at 12 noon on both Saturday and Sunday.