Williams leads in Directors’ Cup

After leading Calvin College by 18 points (367-349) at the end of the fall season, Williams College took a firm hold of the Directors’ Cup following the winter season, scoring 529.75 points on the season to reach a total of 896.5 for the year. A victory will earn the College its 12th straight and 14th out of all 15 Directors’ Cup.

The College currently leads second-place Amherst in the scoring by 233.25 points. The College’s current point total of 896.5 is the highest total ever for the combined fall/winter seasons by a margin of 23.25 points.

Close behind Amherst in the standings is Washington University (St. Louis) with 615 points, followed by Wisconsin-Stevens Point in fourth with 515 points. NESCAC rival Middlebury sits in fifth with 512 points, and Calvin has fallen to sixth after its stellar fall season with a total of 490 points.

“A record winter effort has put the Ephs in position to defend the Cup in the spring, but because this is a sporting competition, there are no guarantees,” said Dick Quinn, director of sports information.

The College scored points in eight sports for the season. Men’s basketball led the way with its second place NCAA finish, while women’s swimming and diving took third in the nation. Men’s swimming and diving and women’s basketball each finished ninth, while women’s track and field and skiing both finished 12th. Men’s track and field finished 18th, and wrestling rounded out the Ephs’ NCAA performances with a 23rd place finish.

The College now appears to be on strong ground headed into the spring, which is historically its strongest season. Last year, led by national championships from women’s crew and women’s tennis, the spring teams scored a combined 446 points on the season for the College’s highest total of the three seasons by 120 points.

The final Div. III Directors’ Cup standings will not be released until late spring and early summer. The standings for men’s and women’s golf, women’s lacrosse and softball will be released May 27, while the remaining standings will be released June 23.