DiCenzo to head to Wesleyan

Dan DiCenzo ’01, head coach of wrestling and football assistant, will leave Williams College at the end of April to become the defensive coordinator and associate head coach of Wesleyan’s football team, according to an April 19 announcement from Wesleyan. DiCenzo follows former Williams football head coach Mike Whalen, a Wesleyan alum who left earlier in the year to take up the Cardinals’ head football coaching position as well as the assistant athletic directorship.

DiCenzo pushed the wrestling team slowly up the national rankings during his tenure as head coach of the Ephs. DiCenzo spent three seasons as head coach, during which he led the team to a 50-16-1 dual-match record and two consecutive New England Wrestling Association titles. The team finished 23rd in the country this season following a 2008-09 season that saw the Ephs earn a 12th place finish at NCAAs – the highest ever in Williams history. DiCenzo was a defensive backs coach at Williams during his six seasons with the football program.

The Williams graduate was a strong asset to both the football and wrestling programs during his career as an Eph: DiCenzo was both an All-NESCAC football player and All-New England wrestler during his senior season.

“[The move to Wesleyan] is an opportunity for me to progress in the football coaching profession,” DiCenzo said. “My goal is to eventually be head football coach and this would definitely be a step in the right direction.”

“It was definitely a tough decision to leave Williams with all my connections to [the College], especially connections with the great student-athletes here,” DiCenzo said. “I can’t replace that. Six years of coaching here has been a big part of my life. I’ve formed some real lifelong relationships with a lot of people.”

As for plans to develop Wesleyan’s program, DiCenzo is still too wrapped up in his transition to have thought that far ahead. “Everything’s in the beginning stages right now,” he said. “I haven’t really been down there much … but I’m really excited about the opportunity.”

Following DiCenzo’s departure at the end of the month, the athletics department will commence a national search for a new wrestling head coach.