Women’s water polo finishes 4th in NE

Women’s water polo made a strong showing to tend its season at the New England Division Championship last weekend at the Muir-Samuelson Pool. The team finished 1-3 on the weekend, falling to Boston College 10-2 and Boston University 13-11 while splitting their matchups with Yale to come in fourth in the division overall.

In Saturday’s first game, Williams came out tough against reigning champion Boston College. Claire Seizovic ’13 put the Ephs on the board right away, and Lisa Chu ’10 knocked another goal in with a little over a minute remaining in the first quarter. The Eagles got on the board before the end of the quarter before opening up a 4-2 lead by the end of the half. Despite Williams’ resilient defensive efforts, BC took advantage of several six-on-five power plays, bringing the score to 6-2 by the beginning of the fourth quarter. The Ephs failed to rally in the fourth and fell 10-2.

Williams stepped up its game to battle it out with Boston University later on Saturday. The women were down 3-5 by the end of the first half, but came back in the third quarter behind four goals by Paula Moren ’12. Rookie standout Caroline Wilson ’13 dominated the water with four goals over the course of the game: Her speed also helped her to win four out of five sprints. The teams were tied 8-8 at the end of the third quarter and remained close throughout the fourth. Goalie Anna Marrs ’13 had some exceptional saves despite the strain of playing two full back-to-back games. In the end, Williams was brought down by two five-meter penalty shots that put the score at 13-11 with no time left for the women to rally. “The game was back and forth the whole time with each team scoring quick goals in succession, and the game just happened to end when they were ahead,” Gigi Campo ’10 said. “If we had more time we definitely would have won.”

The women played their third game of the day Saturday night against Yale. Already exhausted from the first two games, the Ephs weren’t really able to capitalize on fast break opportunities and trailed the Bulldogs 6-2 by the end of the second quarter. Their exhaustion ultimately got the better of them, and the women found themselves down 10-7 when the clock ran out.

The Ephs arrived energized and excited for Sunday’s rematch against Yale for fourth place in the New England Division. The Ephs came out strong and kept the score close, opening a 5-4 lead at the beginning of the second half. Marrs again had an impressive showing in the fourth quarter, stopping a number of point-blank Yale shots while Moren took care of leading the offense, knocking five in over the course of the game to lead her team to a 13-9 victory.

Head Coach Nick Herzik ’10 felt the team’s play was vastly better on Sunday due to defensive improvement. “We played great team defense in the Yale game, which we were lacking throughout the tournament and desperately needed,” he said.

Moren attributed the win to the team’s constantly positive attitude. “Although we lost all our games Saturday, we still felt confident in the way we played,” she said. “Going into our Sunday game against Yale, we focused more on having fun while still working hard. We took control of the game and played with a lot more energy than Yale [did].”

This weekend’s performance bodes well for the team’s future: Though Williams will graduate four seniors as well as its coach, the strong freshman class indicates the depth of the Ephs’ talent. Herzik’s legacy of optimism and dedication to the team is one the women hope to continue heading into next season.