Men’s crew 1V finishes third behind Trinity, WPI for Donahue

On Saturday, men’s crew traveled to Worcester to race against perennial foes Trinity and WPI as well as University of Rochester for the Donahue Cup. None of the races yielded first place results for the Ephs, but every boat finished in the top three of its race. The 2V led the men’s results in second, while the 1V, novice boat and 3V 4+ all took third.

Upon arrival at the racecourse, the team was met with swirling winds that created slightly tricky conditions.

The 1V boat was quick off the line and gained several seats on its rivals, but once Trinity settled into its base rhythm, the Bantam boat started pulling steadily away. The men’s boat took several moves that not only kept it in contact with Trinity, but also initially established a five-seat lead over WPI through the first thousand meters. Ultimately, however, the Ephs’ best efforts weren’t enough to match the strong base pace established by their rivals. Trinity went on to win by four seconds, while Williams was just .6 seconds behind second-place finisher WPI.

In the second race of the day, the 2V established itself as a strong medal threat this year, fending off both WPI and Trinity’s 3V in a solid race. “We got off the line fast and held with favored Trinity through their push at the middle off the race,” said bowman Dan Costanza ’11. “We got pushed around a bit by the stiff cross-wind in the second 1000, but in the end it was a solid race on which to build.” Trinity outpaced the team by 10 seconds, a gap the men will look to close in the coming weeks.

Both the novice boat and 3V 4+ encountered similar difficulties: The novice boat beat WPI, but finished 16 seconds behind one of two Trinity boats that overtook the men during the race. The 3V 4+ took third, just behind both Trinity and WPI.

The Ephs were unsatisfied with their performance, but remain confident in their ability to compete with such teams at the season-ending championship races. Varsity stroke Alex Treco ’12 summed up the team’s attitude when he remarked that the team was “beaten, but not defeated.”

Last weekend’s results come on the heels of a solid performance at the Murphy Cup in Philadelphia April 3. The 1V boat led the way for Williams, finishing third, while the rest of the boats claimed fourth in their races.

The team looks to carry enthusiasm from its two-week training camp in Myrtle Beach over spring break into the last four races of the season. Williams will race Saturday against Wesleyan in Worcester for the Little Three Regatta, where the group will look to continue several years of utter domination over Wesleyan.