College admits 1202 applicants to Class of 2014 for an 18.1% rate

From this year’s applicant pool of 6633 students, Williams College has admitted 1202 students to the Class of 2014. This number marks an 18.1 percent acceptance rate – a decrease from last year’s acceptance rate of 20.3 percent.

Compared to last year’s applicant pool, there were 10 percent more applicants for the Class of 2014, the second highest number of applicants in the College’s history.

According to Dick Nesbitt, director of admissions, the College’s target class size remained at 550 students. The College admitted 216 students through the early decision program earlier this year. An additional 370 students were notified of their acceptance in early March through early write.

“It is a very strong group this year,” Nesbitt said. “It’s as diverse as we’ve ever had, and [there are] a lot of interesting and talented kids in the class.”

In the recently accepted class, 166 students identified themselves as African American, 204 as Asian American, 136 as Latino/a and 9 as Native American. Ninety students identified as international students and 597 as white/non-specific. Of the admitted students, 543 were male and 659 were female. Nineteen percent will be first-generation college students. In addition, 104 applicants were QuestBridge scholars and 94 had an alumni parent.

The diversity of the class extended to academic and extracurricular interests, as well as geographic region. The office of admission gave high “intellectual vitality” ratings to 300 admitted students, 132 expressed a desire to pursue a non-science Ph.D. and 188 aspired to do scientific research or pursue a Ph.D. in science. The average critical reading score on the SAT was 724 and the average score on the SAT math section was 717. Furthermore, 132 admits received top ratings in music, 35 in theater, 34 in studio art and 12 in dance. Additionally, 186 admitted students aspire to be varsity athletes.

Of the admitted students, 28 percent were from the Middle Atlantic region, 12 percent were from the Midwest, 19 percent were from New England, five percent from the South, 21 percent were from the West and 3 percent were international students.

This year, the College offered wait list status to 1125 students, compared to 1104 students last year. Last year, approximately 450 chose to remain on the active wait list. Nesbitt said he expects the same amount of students to elect to remain on the active wait list this year as well.
According to Nesbitt, despite the College’s recent elimination of its need-blind admissions policy for international students, more international students were accepted this year that last. “What [the new policy] allows us to do is to have better control of how many students we have on aid,” Nesbitt said. “We admitted roughly the same number of international students who were requesting aid. We didn’t sacrifice academic quality.”

Nesbitt also noted the high quality of the students who typically apply to the College. “You don’t have a lot of students applying who really aren’t well-qualified,” he said. “You just don’t see many students applying who aren’t really talented.”