No. 11 women’s golf targets Nationals

Women’s golf enters the spring season with high hopes for success in both the NESCAC and at the national championship. The team ended the fall season on a high note, winning its final tournament, the Wellesley Invitational, and dominating rival Amherst.

New Head Coach Erika DeSanty believes that the Ephs have a promising season ahead of them. “Our team has such potential and our goal this spring will be to improve every day, striving for our best team and individual rounds in each match,” DeSanty said.

The Ephs are currently ranked 11th in the National Golf Coaches Association (NGCA) poll and sixth in the Golfstat Head-to-Head rankings.

The team is stacked with talent: Mary Gelber ’10, Anne O’Leary ’10, Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kait O’Brien ’10 are all poised to contribute to an effective season. Victoria Student ’13, Becky Miller ’13 and Aliza Shatzman ’13 will also be key competitors this spring, with a season of collegiate tournament experience now under their belts.

According to DeSanty, each player has her own individual goals for this season: “Anne will lead the way for us, continuing to build on her already successful career. Mary and Victoria will focus on lowering scores and breaking 80 each time out. Kait, Kristin, Grace, Becky and Aliza are determined to not only lower [their] scores, but to also become more consistent.”

The Ephs also welcome Aimee Weber ’11, who just returned from a semester abroad, and Izzy Lee ’12, who played field hockey in the fall. The two “will bring a new attitude and spark to our program,” according to DeSanty.

This spring, the women hope to earn a spot at Nationals, where the team earned eighth in 2008 out of 20 teams. “I want this to be a special season for the team and especially for the seniors,” DeSanty said.

The spring season will open on April 10-11 at the Vassar Invitational.