Men’s tennis sets sites on reclaiming NESCACs

Since the beginning of the academic year, seventh-ranked men’s tennis has been looking forward to what promises to be an exciting spring season. Former Eph tennis star Dan Greenberg ’08 will enter his first spring season as head coach after joining the Ephs this fall; the team will return nine players as the No. 25 recruiting class in all three divisions looks to add to the College’s illustrious tennis history.

Among the returning players are co-captains Nick Lebedoff ’10 and Jeremy Weinberger ’10. Lebedoff and Weinberger garnered All-American and All-NESCAC honors, respectively, last season. Ben Kelley ’10 and Ben Davidson ’10 round out a strong senior class, while lone junior Ari Binder ’11 joins Will Petrie ’12, Dicken Chaplin ’12, Kevin Shallcross ’12 and Dan Fieber ‘12 to complete the returning players. The returning Ephs led the way for the first-years during the Dartmouth Invitational and the Williams-hosted ITA tournament this past fall.

Eight first-years joined the Eph program this year: Felix Sun ’13, Zach Weiss ’13, Trey Meyer ’13, Bryan Chow ’13, Dylan Page ’13, Charlie Hammond ’13, Jay Mehta ’13 and Eric Dietsche ’13. Sun established himself as one of the top first-years in the country with a strong performance at the Fall ITA, which was held at Williams in September. Sun beat four NESCAC opponents, including Amherst’s top singles player, Austin Chafetz, before falling to Middlebury’s Andrew Thomson in the semis.

Greenberg, a three-time All-American and the 2008 NESCAC Player of the Year, is excited to begin his first official season as head coach at his alma mater, having spent last season as an assistant at UNC-Chapel Hill. “We are getting better every day,” Greenberg said. “A lot of us have goals in our own minds, but as a team we just want to focus on working hard and improving. This is the hardest working and most motivated team I’ve seen as player or coach … We have come a long way in understanding our own games and figuring out where we need to go.”

Lebedoff expressed similar enthusiasm. “I want to reclaim the NESCAC title and have a shot at the national title,” he said. “This is the most cohesive team I’ve been on and I’m excited to see what happens.”

Weinberger is looking forward to leaving it all on the court as he enters the final season of a successful career at Williams. “Competing senior spring will be special,” he said. “I’m looking forward to beating Amherst and seeing the freshmen in action.”

The team begins its season with a two-week trip over spring break. The tour begins with a 2 p.m. match at Georgetown on Saturday, after which the team will head to N.C. Wesleyan, Emory and Swarthmore.