Men’s crew goes after ECAC title

Although men’s crew’s season only officially began two weeks ago, anyone who knows a rower knows that the team has not really had that much of an off-season. The team’s fall season only consisted of three races: the Head of the Housatonic, the Head of the Charles and the Head of the Fish, all of which were approximately 2.7 miles in length. The highlight of the men’s fall season was a 1.5 second victory over rival Trinity in the Head of the Charles.

After a winter of indoor training, the Ephs will move into their longer spring season of four two-kilometer regattas before heading into the spring postseason. “We’ve trained on land, six days a week, since November,” tri-captain Greg Ferris ’10 said when asked about the team’s winter preparation. “After 2K testing this weekend, our results show that we have the fitness.”

This year, the men’s crew team will be able to race four eight-man boats. Preseason preparation will continue over spring break, as the team is set to travel to Myrtle Beach, N.C., at the end of the week.

“Once we arrive in Myrtle Beach, we readjust ourselves to rowing on the water, moving as a cohesive team and finding out how to make the boat go as fast as possible,” Ferris said. “We shift it up on spring break to make the team go as fast as possible.”

The varsity team will be under the leadership of Peter Wells ’79, who has been the head coach since 1982. Assistant Coach Colin Regan will lead the first-year class this season in order to ensure the depth of the program, while Ferris, Crosby Fish ’10 and Cameron Skinner ’10 will captain the team.

With the loss of only two rowers from last season and the addition of nine freshmen, the team looks to continue to build on last season’s success and repeat as New England, NESCAC and Little Three Champs this season. The regular season will begin at the Murphy Cup, which will be held April 3 in Philadelphia, Penn. Another regular regatta will be held April 10 before the Little Three regatta April 17 against Wesleyan. The weekend of April 24 will see one more regular season regatta before the men move into postseason competition with New England Championships and ECACs in the first two weekends in May.

“We are hoping to build off our success from last spring and this past fall,” Ferris said when asked about the team’s goals for the year. “Ideally, that means winning races but there is a lot to accomplish for that to happen.”