Jamie Neal ’11, passes away at home at age 21

Jamie Neal ’11 passed away suddenly on March 10 at her home in Duxbury, Mass at the age of 21.

Jamie first came to Williams in the fall of 2006 and was dedicated to studying economics and mathematics. She will be remembered by her friends and family for her vibrant personality, hard work, kindness as well as her passion for everything she committed to – from academics, to sports, to her relationships with her friends.

“Jamie Neal was a close friend whom I will greatly miss,” said Alex Rubin ’10, one of Neal’s closest friends at Williams. “She was a great friend who would drop everything she was doing to help you out.” Friends will remember Neal for her sincerity and great enthusiasm in helping others. Outside of school, she spent three summers with the Appalachia Service Project repairing and renovating homes in economically challenged areas of the United States.

Neal was particularly known for her passion for sports. At Duxbury High School, she captained the basketball, soccer and softball varsity teams. At the College, she was a member of the women’s varsity basketball team. Although she suffered several serious knee injuries, “nobody can deny her strong passion for sports or her relentless desire to improve her skills on the basketball court,” Rubin said.

Neal had been taking time off from Williams and was last in residence at the College in the fall of 2008. Her friends were hopeful that she would soon return, as they remembered the great moments they had spent with her before she left. “I will greatly miss the nights we spent together at Snack Bar, playing pool in Mission and our hour-long chats to avoid doing our homework,” Rubin said. “Her bright smile and constant laughter will resonate with me for as long as I live.” A celebration of Neal’s life will be held on Friday, March 26, at 11 a.m. at the First Parish Church in Duxbury, Mass. Remembrances of Jamie may be emailed to her relatives at dneal0@comcast.net or rhneal3@gmail.com.

The family requests contributions to Jamie K. Neal Fund in lieu of flowers. The fund will support of a scholar–athlete scholarship at Duxbury High School, research and treatment in mental health, and programs in rape awareness. Checks may be made payable to the Jamie K. Neal Fund, Sovereign Bank, 64 Depot St., Box J, Duxbury, MA 02332.