Men’s track continues postseason at ECACs

With a mere six athletes competing, a small but mighty men’s track and field contingent made an impressive showing last weekend at the ECAC Div. III Championships, hosted by Smith in Northampton, Mass. Sending a team of four to compete in the distance medley and two men to vie for victory in the indoor pentathlon, the Ephs tenaciously maneuvered their way to racking up enough points for a four-way tie for 20th out of the 49 teams who participated.

Hitting the ground running, the Williams ‘A’ relay team of Brian Cole ’11, Chris Cameron ’13, Alex Rich ’13 and Connor Kamm ’10 opened the day strong, running away with first in the men’s distance medley with a time of 10:02.75.

In the indoor pentathlon, which consists of the 55 meter hurdles, long jump, shot put, high jump and 1000 meter, the Ephs placed two men in the top 10 en route to their strong team finish. Isaac Nicholson ’11 finished fourth overall: Nicholson captured third in the long jump after a 6.41 meter leap, tied for first in the high jump with a 1.90 meter vault and ran to third in the 1000 meter in just 2:49.11. Chris Fogler ’13 proved himself a promising new talent to watch, finishing ninth overall after securing a tie for fourth in the high jump. Fogler cleared the bar at 1.84 meters.

“ECACs is kind of a last chance meet where we mostly try to get qualifiers for next weekend’s National Championships or to improve on season bests,” co-captain Cullen Roberts ’10 said when asked about last weekend’s meet. “The distance medley relay team ran very well and not only won, but also qualified for Nationals, which was the big goal for the day.  That was definitely our stand-out performance for the meet, so now all of those guys will be running at NCAAs next week, with Connor doubling back [to also race] in the mile.”

Williams, which shared its 20th place finish with competitors from DeSales, Rutgers-Camden and Fredonia State, is looking ahead to Div. III National Championships after last weekend’s strong showing. The qualifying Ephs will race this weekend at DePauw University, where they hope to again showcase their team’s talent with a number of strong individual performances. A number of Ephs will be competing in NCAAs this weekend: Kamm will represent Williams in the mile, while the distance medley relay team of Blyden, Cole, Kamm and Kosgey will try for another first place finish at DePauw. Tomas Kearney ’12 will be the only Eph participating in the field side as he looks to do well in the triple jump. A strong Ephs squad is looking forward to a good showing at Nationals.