ACE selects Gym Class Heroes for annual Spring Fling concert

The annual Spring Fling concert on April 16 will feature Gym Class Heroes, although the band was not listed as one of the six options when students voted online. Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers will open for Gym Class Heroes.

According to Teri Hoffman ’10, All-Campus Entertainment (ACE) concert co-chair, Phoenix garnered the most votes, but the band ended up requesting an extra $40,000 to play in New England. “We don’t have that kind of cash, so we moved on to the runner-up, Pitbull,” Hoffman said. However, Pitbull made the choice to tour in Europe this spring after ACE had submitted a bid for the group. Hoffman said that she and concert co-chair Brian Shepherd ’11 decided to forgo booking one of the other bands voted on and instead explore other options.

Hoffman explained that ACE concert chairs must first decide which bookings fall under ACE’s budget and then consult with the athletic department regarding the availability of Towne Field House. The ACE committee members have input regarding which bands are chosen, but the ACE co-chairs make the final decision.

Gym Class Heroes was founded by Travis McCoy and Matt McGinley in upstate New York in 1997. The group gained fame in 2006 with its hit “Cupid’s Chokehold,” a song that reached No. 4 on the U.S. Billboards Hot 100 and Pop 100. The band includes McCoy (vocals), Dishashi Lumumba-Kasonga (guitar), Eric Roberts (bass) and Matt McGinley (drums). Gym Class Heroes is known for a style that blends rap, rock, hip hop, soul and punk music. The group has released three albums and is currently working on its fourth, The Paper Cut Chronicles II.

Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers, a rock/pop band, was founded in northwestern Massachusetts in 2003, and includes Kellogg, Kit Karlson (keys, bass, tuba, accordion) and Brian Factor (drums, mandolin, banjo). The group has released five albums since 2005, its latest being The Bear (2009). The group’s single, “Shady Esperanto & The Young Hearts,” appeared on the Billboard Top 20 last year. Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers performed at the College as the opening act for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah at Spring Fling in 2006.

Hoffman explained the reasoning for picking this opener. “More people know their music and their name,” she said. “And we thought that because their music is more rock/pop, some people who weren’t interested in Gym Class Heroes would decide to come for Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers.” According to Hoffman, other bands under consideration for opening acts were The Cataracts and Violet Says 5.