Spring Street Blues 2/22/10 – 2/28/10

Monday 2-22-10

1:18 p.m., Lawrence Hall Drive: A Campus Safety and Security officer found an unattended and unlocked vehicle with keys in the ignition and the engine running. The officer turned the engine off, brought the keys to the Security office and left a note on the vehicle stating the location of the keys.

1:30 p.m., Lasell Gym: Security received a report that an MP3 player had been stolen from the upper squash courts during dead week (Jan. 29 through Feb. 2).

3:15 p.m.: Security received a report that a credit card and a bank debit card were missing from a wallet. The student’s backpack had gone missing in Paresky on Feb 21. and was later found and turned in by another student.

Tuesday 2-23-10

7:20 p.m., Sage: A strong odor of marijuana was detected on the first floor. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) was called.

9:20 p.m., Lasell Gymnasium: Security received a report that a backpack had been stolen from the Lasell ski team room. The backpack contained an iPod, a cell phone and a wallet containing a debit card and driver’s license. A stolen article report was sent to WPD.

11:40 p.m., Chandler Gym: A student reported that a bag had been stolen from the women’s locker room. The contents of the bag had been dumped out, and only the bag itself was taken. A stolen article report was sent to WPD.

Wednesday 2-24-10

1:22 p.m., Lower Brooks Lot: Security received a report that a tree limb fell on a car parked in the lot. The owner was identified and notified, and the WPD was contacted.

Thursday 2-25-10

7:32 a.m., Faculty Club: Intrusion alarms were triggered in multiple zones by a painter working on the second floor. The painter had a key to get in but was unaware of the alarm system.

10:57 a.m., Hubbell House: A fire alarm was triggered by cooking, and the system was reset.

Friday 2-26-10

6:55 a.m., Sawyer Library: A panic alarm was triggered at the circulation desk. Officers responded and spoke to the custodial staff, who were unaware that any panic alarms had been triggered. All was in order.

10:10 a.m., Weston Field: Security received a report of an oil spill in front of the Gargoyle Gate. The Safety & Environmental Compliance office was contacted for cleanup.

8:33 p.m. A student called Security with concerns about a dog that had been left alone in a vehicle in the North Academic Building parking lot. The dog was not in any distress.

10:21 p.m., Mark Hopkins: A fire alarm was triggered when students tried to light a fire in the fireplace, and a small down draft filled the room with smoke. The system was reset.

11:25 p.m., Fayerweather: Security received a complaint about an odor of marijuana near one of the stairwells. Security could not determine any source or lingering odor.

11:27 p.m., Gladden: Security received a noise complaint. The cause was Beirut activity in the C entry third floor common room.

Saturday 2-27-10

12:30 p.m.: A student reported that a laptop computer had been stolen from the Williams B common room sometime after midnight on Feb. 25. The computer was later located.

12:47 p.m., Greylock Quad: Security received a report that four males had been throwing snowballs at people in the quad. There were no people in the quad when officers arrived.

Sunday 2-28-10

12:34 a.m., Mission Park: Security received a report of a broken door. The south door had a broken bottom window and the card reader was not working. Mechanical and architectural tradespersons were called in.

8:29 a.m., Ephporium: Security received a report of a broken window from an Ephporium Market proprietor. WPD also responded. The break in the window was large enough for an individual to have entered the building. Photos were taken by WPD and Security, and access to the area of Spring Street was cordoned off by yellow caution tape. An on-call architectural tradesman was called in to assist with broken window.

7:02 p.m., Rice House: A fire alarm was triggered by cooking. The system was reset.

10:35 p.m., Currier: Dispatch received a report of two suspicious males. The officers identified the individuals as guests of another student.