Indoor track races with Div. I competition at BU

This weekend, a group of talented Ephs represented men’s and women’s indoor track and field in the Open New England Championships at Boston University. Both teams emerged from Div. I, Div. II and Div. III competition with impressive individual performances and a number of NCAA Championship qualifying times. The men shared 14th in the team results with Springfield and Vermont, while the women finished 19th.

There were a number of strong finishes for the men on the track. Richard Fusco ’12 placed ninth in the 500 meter in 1:04.95. Meanwhile, Connor Kamm ’10 placed fifth in the mile run, hitting the NCAA provisional benchmark and a personal best with an excellent time of 4:11.56.

Edgar Kosgey ’10 also ran an NCAA provisional qualifying time, though his run came in the 5000 meter: Kosgey swept away the competition, placing first by a seven-second margin with a blisteringly fast 14.40.76. Anthony Raduazo ’12 also ran excellently, following his teammate through the 5000 meter and finishing 10th with a time of 14:58.99.

Dan Franck ’11, Tommy Gaidus ’13, Alex Rich ’13 and Peter Young ’13 worked as a solid team in the 4×800 relay, finishing 15th amongst a competitive field with their time of 7:54.33.

Williams’ strong showing continued on the field, where Tomas Kearney ’12 represented the Ephs in the triple jump, placing a solid fifth with his distance of 13.87 meters.

Co-captain Jeff Perlis ’10 commented on the Ephs’ showing this weekend. “Although we didn’t have a very large contingent racing at the All New England Championships this weekend … those that did race certainly took advantage of the opportunity,” he said.

Perlis especially praised Kamm’s exceptional performance, expressing confidence that this weekend’s results “will almost definitely get him into nationals.”

The women also performed well last weekend. Tri-captain Elise Johnson ’10 hit the qualifying mark for NCAAs in the 55 meter hurdles with her time of 8.38. Tina Meade ’11 also performed well in her 5000 meter race, placing ninth in 18:13.12.

Williams placed third in the distance medley relay behind Connecticut and Providence. The team, comprising Ariel Williams ’10, tri-captain Nora Mitchell ’10, Lizzy Danhakl ’11 and Olga Kondratjeva ’10, ran in an excellent time of 11:56.86, which also provisionally qualified them for NCAAs.

Ceci Davis-Hayes ’11 ran an excellent mile, racing to 22nd place in just 5:15.72, while Bret Scofield ’10 took on the 3000 meter in just 10:33.33 to place 17th.

During the women’s field competition, Julie Paschal ’13 took eighth in the high jump. Paschal broke the 1.65 meter mark to claim her top 10 finish. Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and Karyn Moss ’12 took 16th and 17th, respectively, in the triple jump. Hoffler cleared 11.08 meters, with Moss just behind her with an 11.06 meter result. Brooke Johnson ’13 was just behind in 21st.

“This weekend’s competition was a nice tune up for us as we prepare for the culminating weekend of the season,” Assistant Coach Joel Williams said.

Most important, in Williams’ opinion, is seeing how the team measures up against the competition. “Competing against the top New England schools gives our teams a good indication of how we can do against the top Div. III athletes,” he said.

Both teams will compete in ECAC Championships next weekend at Smith. Championship season continues with Nationals at DePauw University on March 12-13.