Men’s track clinches second place at Div. III New Englands

Men’s indoor track and field traveled to Bates this weekend to compete in the New England Div. III championships. While Williams missed out on first place, falling to winner MIT 132.5-109, the men still showed undeniable talent as they came in second out of 24 competing teams.

“We were seeded for fourth and barely ahead of fifth and sixth,” said Assistant Coach Peter Farwell. “But, as in years past, we far exceeded the pre-meet form chart with great competitive focus, spirit and clutch performances. The whole team contributed to the runner-up finish: from other scorers to those who gave their best to extras coming to be ready as alternates to injured guys helping out in semi-coach capacities.”

The Ephs got off to a solid start with Friday’s pentathlon. Isaac Nicholson ’11 finished second overall, while teammate Chris Fogler ’13 placed sixth.
On Saturday, strong performances continued as Jabulani Blyden ’13 won the 400 meter with his time of 50.54 and Edgar Kosgey ’10 dominated the 800 meter with his first place time of 1:56.20. Kosgey continued to display his skill as he placed second in the mile with an excellent time of 4:18.25. Teammate Brian Cole ’11 also ran a fast mile and finished the event in fourth.

Spirits continued to rise as Connor Kamm ’10 won the 3000 meter in just 8:33.85 and Anthony Raduazo ’12 placed second in the 5000 meter with a solid 15:19.04.

The Ephs also had success in the relay events: The 4×400 team of Blyden, Richard Fusco ’12, Zach Shapiro ’13 and Moyukh Ghosh ’12 combined to finish in 3:26.45 for third place. Kamm, Kosgey, Dan Franck ’11 and Josephat Koima ’12 represented Williams in the 4×800, racing to seventh in 8:03.61. The men’s distance relay team came in fourth, just behind Amherst and Bowdoin, with Brian Cole ’11, Chris Cameron ’13, Alex Rich ’13 and co-captain Cullen Roberts ’10 combining for a time of 10:26.18.

The talent continued to display itself in the field events. In the high jump, Tomas Kearney ’12 placed second with a height of 1.93 meters and also took eighth in the long jump. Nicholson was close behind in the high jump, coming in at third, and then continued his standout weekend with a seventh place result in the long jump. Kearney qualified for NCAAs with his personal best result in the triple jump, which earned him second place in this weekend’s competition.

Co-captain Jeff Perlis ’10 expressed excitement about the weekend’s performance. “Without a doubt, Saturday was one of the two best team performances I can remember here at Williams,” he said. “Although we did not come home with the championship, we beat some good teams and we can certainly hold our heads high.”

Roberts echoed Perlis’ sentiments regarding the weekend. “We had some really inspired performances,” he said. “It’s always tough to lose, but I think everyone’s proud of how we competed as a team today.”

Next weekend, the team will travel to Boston University to compete in the Open New Englands. The high-stakes meets will continue on the weekend of March 5, when the Ephs travel to Smith for ECAC Championships.