Women’s squash upsets Dartmouth

Women’s squash (10-3) had a roller coaster of a weekend, which ended on Sunday with arguably the biggest victory of the season over rival Dartmouth. On Saturday, the team lost to no. 2 Penn but defeated NESCAC rival Hamilton 7-2 in the afternoon. The weekend before, Williams traveled to Maine and handily defeated Bates, Colby and Bowdoin.

On Sunday afternoon the Ephs squeaked out an exciting 5-4 victory against the Big Green, which put them in a great position to make the ‘A’ division playoffs. Like the rest of the weekend, the match against Dartmouth had its share of ups and downs: Julia Reiser ’10, tri-captain Caroline Henry ’10 and Courtney Bogle ’12 won the first three matches of the day, but no. 5 player Allison Rubin ’13 and teammate Hannah Kaemmer ’13 both lost heartbreaking matches 11-8.

However, senior tri-captain Jennifer Coxe ’10 righted the ship and earned a big victory for the Ephs, putting them up 4-2. In the final set of matches, Carolyn Kaemmer ’12 and Laura Henry ’13 both lost their matches 0-3. The outcome of the entire competition came down to a battle of no. ones: Williams’ tri-captain Toby Eyre ’10 and Dartmouth first-year Valeria Wiens. Eyre came through and clinched the big victory for the Ephs.

Head Coach Zafi Levy spoke to the weekend’s positive repercussions. “This was a huge win. With a win at Brown next week, we make the ‘A’ division playoffs,” Levy said.

The day before, Williams had a rough morning with a 9-0 loss to no. 2 Penn. The team put in a strong effort, but it wasn’t enough and the Quakers steamrolled the Ephs, though the women were able to keep many of the games against Penn close.

The team made up for the loss by winning a tough match against Hamilton 7-2. Two of the top three Ephs, Coxe and Bogle, sat out the match, but teammates Henry and Rubin stepped up to ensure the conference win.

The weekend of Jan, 9-10, Williams traveled to Maine to face conference foes Bates, Colby and Bowdoin. The weekend was relatively smooth sailing for the Ephs: they only dropped two games against the Mules, and the next day didn’t lose a single match in defeating the Polar Bears.

Next weekend, the team will try to clinch its position in the ‘A’ division playoffs by traveling to face Brown on Saturday at 3:00. The squad will then do battle with Cornell Sunday at the Simon Squash Center at 3 p.m.