Spring Street Blues 1-10-10 to 1-17-10

Sunday 1-10-10

4:19 a.m.: Security received a report of a motor vehicle accident near Williams Hall. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) responded to the scene and handled the situation. The owner and operator of the vehicle sustained a cut on his knee.

5:12 a.m., East College: Security received a complaint about vomit in the first floor bathroom.

11:30 a.m., Perry: Security received a report of a heating problem in a room. Facilities was notified.

5:55 p.m., Mission: Security received a report of a heating problem in a room.

9:27 p.m., Williams Hall: WPD responded to a report of marijuana in a basement room and confiscated items from the room. The occupants were not present. A fire safety violation was also noted because the smoke detector in the room was covered by a sock. The sock was subsequently removed.

11:03 p.m.: A student was transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH) due to illness.

Monday 1-11-10

12:35 a.m., Garfield: Security received a noise complaint. Students complied with the request.

8:00 a.m., Prospect: Facilities reported evidence of an illegal party in a common room. Beer cans, plastic cups and hard liquor bottles were scattered around the room. There was no visible damage to the lights, walls or floors.

8:21 a.m., Thompson: Security received a complaint about a gasoline smell in the annex section. A snow blower in the garage was found to be leaking gas and was removed from the area.

9:09 a.m.: Assistance was requested for a transport to NARH for a staff person who was having back pain.

8:30 p.m., Dodd House: A fire alarm was activated by cooking. The area was ventilated, and the system was reset.

Tuesday 1-12-10

7:36 a.m., Bronfman: A fire alarm was caused by contractors working in the area.

3:19 p.m., Schow Library: Security received a report of a gas smell in the southwest area of the building. The smell was determined to be from small traces of a chemical with a smell similar to that of propane that was being used in a lab. The area was ventilated.

5:04 p.m., Faculty House: Security received a report of a gas smell near the loading dock. A hole without a cover may have been the source, though Safety & Environmental Compliance (S&EC) personnel could not get a reading. A work order was submitted, and a traffic cone was put over the hole.

5:57 p.m., Thompson Physics Laboratory: Security received a report of a water leak. The cause of the leak was a broken seal on a pump on an air handler.

6:25 p.m.: A student who had sustained an injury while working out the previous day was transported to NARH via ambulance.

Wednesday 1-13-10

7:27 a.m., Southworth Street: Security received a report that local smoke detectors were sounding off in an apartment. The detectors had been activated for no apparent reason.

12:48 p.m., Lansing-Chapman Hockey Rink: 911 was activated for a town resident who fell on the ice during a hockey game. The town resident was transported to NARH via ambulance.

8:23 p.m., Jewish Religious Center (JRC): A fire alarm was received when smoke from a fireplace set off a detector.

Thursday 1-14-10

2:22 a.m., Spencer: Beirut activity was shut down in a living room.

7:50 a.m., Greylock Dining Hall: A fire alarm was received as a result of malfunctioning fans.

8:52 a.m., Park Street: A minor vehicle accident involving a moving vehicle and a parked vehicle was reported. No injuries resulted, though there was minor damage to both vehicles. WPD responded to handle the incident.

12:05 p.m., Thompson Biology Lab: Security received a report of overflow from a water tank. A work order was submitted, and a professor mopped up the water on the floor.

10:12 p.m., Whitman’s: Security received a report of water leaking from the ceiling. The leak appeared to be a result of condensation from the dishwasher. A work order was submitted to Facilities.

Friday 1-15-10

1:38 a.m., Carter House: A fire system trouble code was received due to a covered smoke detector in a student’s room. Students were smoking in the room. The system would not reset until the detector was replaced with a new one. The students were cited for a fire safety violation.

8:57 a.m., Lasell Gynasium: Security received a report of a suspicious person seen in the basketball offices the previous evening. The person was later identified.

12:20 p.m., Spring Street: Security met with WPD to check the WilliNet stairwell. There
were empty beer cans and cigarette butts.

2:00 p.m., Bronfman: Security received a report of a rubber-type odor in the elevator. An electrician responded, and S&EC was notified. The odor dissipated before the source was found.

2:15 p.m., Williams Hall: Security received a report that an Apple i-Phone had been stolen from a common room. A stolen article report was sent to WPD.

4:12 p.m., Southworth Apartments: Security received a report of a leaking radiator. Facilities was notified.

4:18 p.m., Agard: Security received a report that a bicycle had been stolen. A stolen article report was sent to WPD.

5:04 p.m., Paresky: Security received a report that non-Williams students were on the balcony. They were identified and were found not to be causing any problems.

11:52 p.m., Prospect: An unregistered party was shut down. The group responsible was identified.

Saturday 1-16-10

2:16 a.m., Mt. Hope: A fire alarm was activated by steam coming from a broken hot water pipe. Facilities staff handled the incident.

3:50 a.m., Paresky: A fire alarm was triggered by an unknown cause. The system would not reset, and Fire Safety was notified.

9:00 a.m.: A communications failure caused a seven-second delay on readers at Spencer, Perry, Lambert, the JRC, Bascom, Brooks and Milham. Fire Safety and electrical staff responded.

10:41 p.m., Spencer House: A fire alarm was triggered by the use of a hair dryer. The system was reset.

Sunday 1-17-10

1:41 a.m., Gladden: Security received a noise complaint. Loud music and Beirut were shut down.

5:16 a.m., Tyler House: Security received a noise complaint. Loud music was shut down.

11:30 a.m.: A staff member reported that his car had been damaged while parked in the Driscoll parking lot the previous day. WPD took a report.

2:30 p.m., Gladden: A student reported unauthorized entry and use of her room while she was away. No items were taken.