College ranks first in Directors’ Cup standings after fall season

Following the fall athletic season, the College appears to be on its way to a 12th consecutive Directors’ Cup victory. At the end of the season, the College had 367 points toward the Cup and ranked first in the December standings for the Div. III Cup.

Awarded by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and based on national standings in up to 18 sports (nine men’s and nine women’s), the Cup has gone to the Ephs 13 of the 14 times it has been awarded.

The points for the fall standings were tallied from the five teams that advanced to championship events.
Each of the five teams finished in the top 10 for their sports: men’s cross country finished second; men’s soccer took third; women’s cross country came in eighth; and both women’s field hockey and women’s volleyball placed ninth.

“Being ranked number one is one sign of the successful athletic program we have here,” said Harry Sheehy, Director of Athletics. “We had an excellent fall; it’s really the coaches and athletes who made this success possible.”

With the combined points from each of the contributing teams, the College is 18 points ahead of Calvin College, Mich., which currently sits in second with 349 points. Washington University, Mo., holds third place with 319 points and Messiah College, Pa., is in fourth with 290 points. Other NESCAC teams in the top 10 include Amherst, in sixth place with 225 points and Middlebury, in tenth place with 197 points. The College’s score of 367 points is just nine points behind its all-time best for the fall of 376 from the fall of 2002.

Of the contributors, women’s cross country is the only College fall team to score in all 15 years of this competition, placing in the top 10 every year but one.

The first Div. III winter standings will be released March 18, at which point further assessments can be made as to whether the College will be able to take the Cup and run its winning streak to 12 years.

Sheehy said the March 18 rankings are “all based on how our teams do in NCAA events.” For team sports like basketball or hockey, this means qualifying for an NCAA tournament. For individual sports like swimming, individual athletes must qualify in their events in order to compete in NCAA events.

“The potential [for us to continue to succeed] is definitely there; on the whole our teams are having excellent seasons,” Sheehy said. “We’re doing fine, but we can’t ever know for sure what other schools are doing. While it is a wonderful honor to have the Director’s Cup, we don’t put down our heads on our pillows every night to think about how we can get the Cup. Our focus is on doing the best that we can at the individual and team levels.”