Women’s swimming takes 2nd in tri-meet

Women’s swimming began its season with a splash on Saturday, when the team traveled to Fordham to compete in its first meet of the season against two Div. I colleges, Fordham and Boston College. The women defeated Boston College, but they lost to Fordham, 182-99. “I thought that for our first meet the women did a solid job,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said of the meet. “Certainly there were several positive things to build on and many areas to improve on in future meets.”

Particularly impressive at the Fordham meet was Logan Todhunter ’12, who, Kuster said, “continued where she left off last year with some very good early season swims in the 100 and 200 butterfly.” Todhunter placed first in both events. Also extremely impressive in their first meet were KC Ha ’13, Joanna Hoffman ’10 and Abbie Deal ’12. Ha finished third in the 100 butterfly and the 100 backstroke, Hoffman finished in the top 10 in three events, and Deal swam a career best in the 50 freestyle.

Caroline Wilson ’13 also performed well. “The swim of the day was turned in by first year Caroline Wilson, who set a school record in winning the 500 yard freestyle,” said Kuster. Wilson clocked in at 4:56.18, while Fordham’s closest swimmer clocked in at 5:05.89.

Co-captain Christina Metcalf ’10 was pleased with the results of the meet. “It was our first meet of the season and we are just getting ourselves back into the racing mode,” she said. “We wanted to set the right tone for the rest of the season. I think that it speaks volumes when a Div. III team is able to compete with Div. I teams. We had a really hard week of training, yet we were able to put forth our best effort,and I don’t think we backed down in any sense at all. Our swims were solid for our first meet, and I think we are positioned extremely well for the rest of our season. Fordham was probably one of the most challenging teams, if not the most challenging team, we were scheduled to swim against.”

Last year, the women beat Fordham by five points. Although they would have liked to win again this year, Metcalf said, “Our focus was more about what we as a team were doing. It was our first meet of the season and we are just getting ourselves back into the racing mode. We wanted to set the right tone for the rest of the season.”

After the success of this meet, Kuster is sure that the women will continue to succeed. “I’m looking forward to our next meet to see the women perform even better and improve on what we started today,” he said.

The women will next compete against Conn. College in a NESCAC matchup at home at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.