Women’s squash sweeps weekend

After a strong beginning to the season, women’s squash (3-1) captured another victory, this time against St. Lawrence. The Ephs have traditionally topped the Saints, and Williams felt the pressure to keep the record going this year. This match was the only one of the weekend, and the women rose to the challenge, quickly beating the Saints in every match.

The team was able to dominate even though some of the lineup was missing. Allison Rubin ’13 and co-captain Caroline Henry ’10 were both unable to play due to injury and sickness, respectively. However, this did not stop the Ephs from taking down the competition and decisively winning the match 9-0 with not one player dropping a set.

“Everyone on the team played great and stayed concentrated throughout the match,” said co-captain Toby Eyre ’10.

The win over the Saints added to the Ephs’ already strong season and was the team’s third sweep on the year. The women have done well in their earlier matches, winning against conference opponents Tufts 9-0 and Middlebury 9-0 while losing to Harvard 0-9.

Although the team lost two players last year to graduation, it has acquired five new first years, three of whom play in the top nine. The rookies are very excited to begin the squash season and believe that the St. Lawrence game was a good marker for upcoming play: “St. Lawrence definitely exhibited how strong our team is this year and how much potential we have, especially in upcoming matches,” Laura Henry ’13 said.

Overall, Williams had a quiet but winning weekend and looks forward to travelling to Trinity this weekend, where it will take on the Bantams at 1 p.m. before facing off against Mt. Holyoke at 5 p.m. “We’re looking forward to a tough upcoming weekend where we can hopefully keep up our focus,” Eyre said.