Subway opens Spring St. branch

Last Wednesday, a new branch of the Subway sandwich restaurant opened on 31 Spring St. in the space that formerly housed the Li Asia art gallery. The restaurant replaces the Subway that was destroyed in the Centre Building fire of spring 2007.
According to store manager Brigesh Attel, the restaurant drew a steady crowd on opening day; the branch attracted 700 more patrons on Thursday and an additional 700 patrons on Friday, so that the store nearly tripled its clientele by the end of the week. “It’s about the same as we expected,” Attell said of the patronage so far. “It’s been really good.”
Attell also noted that students have made up 90 percent of the store’s customers so far and estimated that about 3 to 4 percent of customers have been general Williamstown residents.
The branch is currently open until 10 p.m. on Sunday through Wednesday, and until 11 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. According to Attell, the restaurant might extend its hours depending on customer patterns. He added also that he is aware that the old Centre Building Subway was open until 2 a.m. “For now, I just want to get settled,” Attell said of his intentions to adjust the store’s hours. “It definitely might change if I see there’s a lot business for late night service.”
Because the restaurant has only been open for one week, Attell could not say much about how much repeat patronage the Subway has attracted, although he noted that there have been a couple of students who have made purchases regularly. The new store has also seen much of its business come in during the lunchtime rush, although customers have also been coming throughout the day.
The branch currently has seven staff members, a number that might increase or decrease depending on how much business the institution attracts in the coming months. “Throughout the semester, as long as the students are here, [business] is going to stay high,” Attell said. “That’s what we hope, at least.”