Men’s swimming struggles against Fordham in opening meet

The first meet of the season for men’s swimming did not necessarily go as planned. The men travelled to the Bronx last Saturday and lost to Fordham 209-88 in a tough loss during a tri-meet between Williams, Fordham and Boston College.

Despite the loss, there were some bright spots for the men as rookie Paul Dyrkacz ’13, who also came in fourth in the 200 yard backstroke, won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:46.47. Gary Roberson ’11 placed third with a time of 9:57.10 in the 1000 freestyle while Chris Corbett ’13 came in second in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:11.38 in his collegiate debut.

Co-captain Adam Hollander ’10 thought the team could have performed better but was complimentary of Dyrkacz. “For the most part we all swam relatively slow,” said co-captain Adam Hollander ’10. “Our freshman Paul Dyrkacz was definitely our top performer. He swam a great 200 freestyle bringing it home hard and touching out the competition. He also swam a strong 200 IM for this point in the season and had a solid 200 breaststroke, as did his classmate Chris Corbett who came in a close second to the Boston College first place finisher.”

Also posting good times for freshmen were Scott Symonds ’13 with a 5:06.50 in the 500 yard freestyle, and Daeus Jorento ’13 with a 1:02.99 in the 100 yard backstroke.

When asked about how the team felt about the meet Hollander said, “It was by no means a good meet for us, but it was sort of expected. We have been doing a lot of hard training and are working to build a solid base going into our training trip and winter study is where the training really kicks in full gear.”

The Ephs lost a great deal of talent last year and knew it would be a struggle to replace such a strong group of seniors but the freshman class is showing great promise. Led by Dyrkacz, the freshmen have been improving from the first practices of the season with the help of leadership from the upper classmen like Hollander and co-captain Henry Blackford ’10.

Williams will have to fight past this initial setback in order to have a successful season. The Ephs will look to win their first meet at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday against Conn. College at home.