Women’s swimming returns experienced squad

After claiming the NESCAC title and placing fourth at the NCAA Div. III National Championships last season, women’s swimming has high hopes for its upcoming season. The team will be led this year by captains Christina Metcalf ’10, swimming freestyle and breast stroke, and Sophia Sequiera ’10 in freestyle and back. With eight returning All-Americans, including both captains, the team has a great shot at improving upon last year’s phenomenal season.

“I certainly think we have a very capable team, but more than wins and losses I hope that the team works hard in supporting one another and in general swims and dives better than they ever have,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said of his expectations for the upcoming season. “If we can take care of those things then I know it will be both a successful season as well as a rewarding experience.”

Williams returns many outstanding swimmers this season, who have already swam above all other Williams standards. Logan Todhunter ’12 returns after breaking individual Williams records in the 50, 100 and 200 fly. Erin Altenburger ’11 broke an individual record in the 100 back, and Jillian Hancock ’11 broke records in the 200 free and 500 free.

Returning relay record-setters include Todhunter and Carolyn Geller ’12 for the 200MR, Altenburger, Todhunter and Geller for the 400MR, Todhunter, Altenburger, Geller and Olivia Card-Childers ’11 for the 200FR, Altenburger, Geller, Hancock, and Todhunter for the 400 FR, and Ellen Ramsey ’11, Metcalf, Sequeira and Hancock for the 800 FR. In all, the Ephs return 25 swimmers and welcome eight first-years to the experienced team.
Women’s swimming has one of its strongest teams ever in the history of the College. “I think one of our biggest strengths is that we don’t really have a weakness,” Kuster said. “I think we are strong across the board. I could tell you that we were particularly strong in the fly events, but then we are also very strong in the free events as well as IM, etc.”

With so much potential, Kuster remains grounded in the most important factor to the team’s success. “I think one of the keys will be for the team to stay healthy,” he said, “especially towards the end of the year.”

The women start off their season Dec. 5 swimming in a meet against Fordham, BC and Dartmouth.