Women’s cross country takes 2nd behind Midd. at ECACs

Running as a pack, the Ephs' good pacing earned them second place.
Running as a pack, the Ephs’ good pacing earned them second place.

Women’s cross country hosted the ECAC championships on Saturday at Mt. Greylock Regional High School. Racing its “second seven,” the team finished second out of 39 teams, falling only behind Middlebury. After losing to Middlebury at last weekend’s NESCAC championships, the Ephs used pack running and good pacing to make a strong bid for the ECAC title. Over the course of the season, Williams and Middlebury have established themselves as easily the deepest teams in the region, something on clear display Saturday – three of the top four and nine of the top 14 finishers represented either Williams or Middlebury.

Leading the way for the Ephs was Ariel Williams ’10, who finished in fourth place, covering the 6k course in 23:23. By finishing first on the team, Williams earned the alternate spot for next weekend’s Regional championships. Other standout performers for Williams were co-captain Jess Clarke ’10 (eighth), Natalie Davis ’12 (11th), Celeste Berg ’13 (13th) and Olivia Delia ’12 (14th). The Ephs placed all five of their scorers in the top 15 overall in the race and, with a final score of 50 points, finished only 13 points behind Middlebury.

“The women got out in good position and executed a great race strategy of moving up througout,” said Assistant Coach Patrick Wales-Dinnan.
Next Saturday the Ephs head to Cumberland, Maine where the Div. III New England Regional Championships will be held. Williams will attempt to qualify for the National Championships – something they have been successful in doing every year since the NESCAC first allowed teams to compete at nationals in 1993 – by finishing in the top two at Regionals or through an at-large bid.