Football thrashes Hamilton

Ryan Lupo ’11, who ran for 92 yards and a touchdown Saturday, dives across the line of scrimmage.

Football (5-1) never let the game get interesting on Saturday’s most unmysterious Halloween. The men shut out Hamilton (1-5) 42-0 to extend their winning streak to four. Scoring all 42 points before the fourth quarter and not giving up a single point, the Ephs outplayed the Continentals in every aspect of the game.
Quick attacks executed by the Ephs’ offense quickly put the match out of the Continental’s reach. Scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 21 points in the second, the offense impressed the many fans in attendance with 482 yards of total offense.

Tri-captain Nick Caro ’10 tied a Williams record of three touchdown receptions in one game by scoring the first three Williams touchdowns. He scored on passes of 11, 25 and an impressive 65 yards from quarterback Pat Moffit ’11. When asked about the record, Caro said, “I had no idea that I had tied a record. It was pretty cool because it helped us get a win, but I don’t care too much about the record. Our passing game finally started to click so that was great, but I was focused on winning the game.”

Caro also focused on Moffit’s played and their connection. “[Pat and I] just have good chemistry, and he knows the offense really well,” Caro said. “He has a connection with all the receivers, and it is really starting to show. He gets more comfortable each week . . . He played with confidence, and his ability and preparation came through and he had a big game.”

Moffit played his best game of the season thus far, completing 14 of 18 passes for 264 yards and four touchdowns. Hamilton’s defense, notorious for blitzing on nearly every down, proved no contest for Moffitt, who was poised under pressure and protected by his offensive line. Moffitt’s counterpart at quarterback, Matt Coyne ’12, also played well, going five for nine for 72 yards and one touchdown.

The win, however, was a complete offensive effort. Running back Ryan Lupo ’11 had a two-yard touchdown run, rushing for a total of 92 yards on 17 carries on the day. Receiver Bryce Bennett ’11 caught eight passes for 122 yards and also scored a touchdown. The Ephs gained 22 first downs to the Continentals 10, with 482 total offensive yards to a mere 153 total yards for the opposition.

Throughout the season, the defense has played extraordinarily well; last Saturday was no different. Led by Pat Barren ’11 and Dylan Schultz ’11, who each had five solo tackles, the Williams defense shut down a stumbling Hamilton offense. The Ephs also forced two fumbles, three interceptions, two turnovers on downs and seven punts.

“The defense has played very well week in and week out,” said middle linebacker and tri-captain Ikenna Iheoma ’10. “We really stepped it up especially after the Middlebury game where we played well in the first half and poorly in the second half. Now we are finishing games and closing other teams out in the second half, and I think that is why we played so well.”

To add to the team’s excitement, formerly unbeaten Trinity fell to Amherst on Saturday, opening up a chance to share the NESCAC title at the end of the season with a win over Amherst. “We control our own destiny now – if we win out we can get a share of the title,” Caro said. “We had a disjointed week of practice, but we responded well and showed what we can do in the game.”

This game served as a crucial tune-up for the Little Three games that will conclude the Ephs’ season and decide the NESCAC championship. Football will travel to Middletown, Conn. on Saturday to play Wesleyan before facing off against Amherst at Weston Field for Homecoming on Nov. 14.