Women’s soccer squashes Bowdoin, remains undefeated

Tyler Rainer '11 and Annie Neil '11 win the ball in the team's 4-1 win over Trinity on Oct. 11
Tyler Rainer ’11 and Annie Neil ’11 win the ball in the team’s 4-1 win over Trinity on Oct. 11

Women’s soccer (11-0-0, 7-0-0 in the NESCAC) continued its perfect season with a 4-0 domination of Bowdoin (6-5-0, 3-4-0) on Saturday.

The Ephs wasted no time getting started offensively, as Bret Eisenhart ’12 tapped in her 10th goal of the season just 26 seconds into the game off of an assist from Annelise Snyder ’11 and tri-captain Sarah Walmsley ’10.

Scoring two more goals scored just after the 11 and 17 minute marks gave the Ephs a 3-0 lead. Snyder scored both goals, bringing her season total up to a team-leading 11 goals, good enough for second in the league. Walmsley assisted both goals.

Williams did not score for an extended period of time, as the fourth and final goal didn’t come until the 79th minute when Sam Vilboa ’13 scored off of a feed from Nicole Stenquist ’12.

The Polar Bears never stood a chance against the Ephs – with only seven shots the entire game, and only three of those on goal, the Ephs’ 13 shots on goal and 17 overall easily overpowered them. However, this was just a typical game for the Ephs, statistically speaking: The team is averaging almost 27 shots and four goals a game.

Snyder was awarded NESCAC Player of the Week for her efforts in the game.
“We scored really early, which gave us time to just work on the attacking patterns we’ve been working on all week,” tri-captain Kara Duggan ’11 said. “We were really strong all over the field, and a bunch of our forwards were working really well together. ”

As always, however, Duggan and her team aren’t getting complacent. “Obviously [there is] still a lot of room for improvement, [but] a lot of things we worked on came together really nicely on the field.”

Head Coach Michelyne Pinard also felt the team performed well this weekend, particularly in the attack. “Soccer is a lot about starting quickly,” she said. “Scoring only thirty seconds in really changed the tenor of the game and gave us a huge advantage.”

The team is now looking to improve and step up its game for the home stretch of regular season play. “It’s surreal that the season goes by so quickly,” Pinard said. “Now, we’re focused on starting to put it all together and bring together all of the little things we’ve been working on.”

Duggan is especially impressed with how successfully all the women are working together. “As a team and a unit we’re attacking and defending really well all over the field,” she said.

Pinard agreed with Duggan’s sentiments regarding the team as a unit. “This team is very unique in that so many players contribute day in and day out to doing well,” Pinard said. “It’s very hard to pick out individuals [doing especially well] because so many people are helping and so many are involved in scoring goals.”
The Ephs’ victory over the Polar Bears came after a hard weekend of play on October 10 and 11. The Ephs barely edged out the Bobcats (3-5-1, 1-4-0) with a 2-1 win to start the weekend, in what was the Ephs’ closest game of the season. Bates tied the game 1-1 in the 88th minute before Bridget Gallagher ’12 put in a rebound with only 26 seconds left in regulation to give the Ephs a win and save the team from overtime.

After Saturday’s close call, the Ephs came out strong against the Trinity Bantams (3-3-2, 4-4-1) in a 4-1 win. Williams wasted no time and put two goals in the back of Trinity’s net before five minutes had passed – Wolfson scored the first goal off of an assist from Stenquist and then also assisted Eisenhart on the second goal. After a quick Trinity goal, Snyder put the ball in the net off of an assist from Stenquist to bring the score to 3-1 in the 66th minute. Caitlyn Clark ’13 finished the game off on a good note with another goal in the last two minutes of play.

Williams will play at Keene State (10-3-1) tonight at 7 p.m., and then face Tufts (6-4-1, 4-2-1) at 1:30 p.m. at Cole Field on Saturday.