Women’s golf wins at Wellesley

Women’s golf played well last weekend at the Wellesley Invitational, earning its first win of the fall with a one-day total of 337. The women claimed a four-shot victory over Amherst in the event, which was shortened to only one day due to inclement weather during Sunday’s round.

“Our team has worked so hard all season to earn our first victory,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said. “Today, more than ever, they played for and depended on each other. We consistently improved this fall, and though I am sad to see this portion of our season come to a close, I am thrilled with the way it has ended.”

The Ephs were lead by rookie Victoria Student ’13, who continued her strong play by posting an 81 and placing second individually out of the entire field. Anne O’Leary ’10 and Mary Gelber ’10 continued to be the rocks of the team, recording matching 84s and earning themselves fifth place finishes individually. Close behind were Becky Miller ’13 and Aliza Shatzman ’13, who contributed scores of 88 to the team’s effort.

O’Leary was extremely pleased with the way her teammates fought on Saturday to defeat Amherst, the team that had barely outpaced them at every other tournament of the season. “I think each of us individually would say that we didn’t have our best day out there in terms of scoring for many different reasons, but I think we all did a really great job of battling through and saving every shot that we could,” she said. “We are definitely ecstatic that we won. Personally, I know that for most of my round on Saturday I was thinking about how strong our team is and how much we deserved to beat Amherst.”

The win caps off an impressive fall campaign led by DeSanty in her first year at the helm the team. The women placed in the top three in four out of their five tournaments, rotating many of the members of the team into the lineup and showing the extreme depth of the squad.

The Ephs and DeSanty will look to build on this momentum over the winter as they head into the spring season. “This win was also really crucial for us going into the spring because we now realize that we can beat every team we face,” O’Leary said. “I think this will help us set our goals higher and start looking toward the national tournament.”

The women will benefit from the reopening of the renovated Taconic Golf Course in the spring, providing the seventh-ranked Div. III team in the nation, according to the Golfstat Head-to-Head Rankings, a place to prepare for a potential NCAA title.