Men’s golf closes season at Hamilton Invite

Men’s golf’s fall season drew to a close on Oct. 10 and 11 with a ninth place finish at the Hamilton Invitational. Difficult weather conditions on Saturday at Yahnundasis Golf Course and Sunday at Skenandoa Golf Course made play particularly challenging. Despite the especially chilly autumn weather, the Ephs posted a solid team score of 322 on Saturday, leaving them in sixth place in a field of 15 teams. Faced with wind and wet fairways on Sunday, Williams fared slightly worse, posting a team score of 325 for a tournament total of 647.

Jack Ervasti ’13 led the team with a 155, carding a 77 on Saturday and a 78 on Sunday to finish the tournament in 11th place individually. Further demonstrating his consistency, Chris Valle ’12 posted a 79 followed by a 78 for a 157, good enough to tie for 14th place individually, while Siwol Chang ’12 shot a 165. Representing Williams in an away tournament for the first time in their collegiate golf careers, Ryan Brand ’13 and Wyatt Sparks ’13 carded a 170 and 171, respectively.

“For the last tournament of what was a great fall season, it was nice that the juniors gave some of the underclassmen the opportunity to go to Hamilton and get a feel for what it is like traveling with the team and playing different golf courses,” said Ervasti. “Although the scores were a little higher than we would have liked, the players still showed their resilience through some tough playing conditions, and overall it was a good experience for the underclassmen.”

The Hamilton Invitational signaled the end of an impressive fall season for the team. Over the course of the season, the Ephs demonstrated great depth, skill and consistency, with Jake Wagner ’11, Bob Camp ’11, Jack Killea ’11 and Chris Valle ’12 representing Williams on 2009 NESCAC All-Conference teams and Head Coach Rick Pohle named Coach of the Year.

“The team enjoyed one of our more successful fall seasons in recent memory,” said Wagner. “Many of our returning players swung on the desired plane, and the freshmen were pretty good at getting the ball in the hole, too. We’re going to use the off-season to get back in peak physical shape and to win another broomball championship.”

After securing two tournament victories this fall and earning the host role for the NESCAC Championship, the team looks forward to the spring season.