Greylock ABC thanks students for help

On behalf of Greylock A Better Chance (ABC), I want to acknowledge the help we received, not only from approximately 100 community volunteers, but also from a number of MCLA and Williams students before and during the recent ABC Used Clothing Sale.

Now in its 40th year, Greylock ABC provides educational opportunities to students of color with the talent and potential to excel academically through their placement into some of the nation’s most outstanding secondary schools. The program is funded entirely by local donations and fundraising events. The used clothing sale accounts for almost a third of the annual ABC operating budget.

During the summer, students from several organizations and programs at Williams collected clothing from departing students and transported it to storage.
During the week before the sale, the ABC scholars themselves, the MCLA Latin American Society and the MCLA African American Study Club helped transport heavy boxes of clothing and shoes to the site of the sale. The Williams Nordic ski team carried 32 large boxes of shoes to the rooms where the sale was to be held. On the day before the sale, the Williams men’s basketball team carried heavy racks, boxes and bags upstairs and into a moving van, and the women’s basketball team unloaded everything at the sale location. Finally, after the sale the men’s lacrosse team packed the leftover clothes and equipment into the truck and returned everything to basement storage for another year.

Without exception, these young people were cheerful, helpful, enthusiastic and willing workers as well as delightful individuals. We rely heavily on their strong backs, good humor and positive attitudes while doing a physically hard job well. We are indebted to all these community-minded students and appreciate their contribution to a successful fund-raising effort.