Women’s golf finishes 2nd at Midd. Invitational

Women’s golf had its best showing of the season last weekend at the Middlebury Invitational, locking up second place at the tournament with a season-low two-day score of 654. Amherst took first place overall in the tournament.
The Ephs were down five strokes to the Jeffs after the first day of the tournament and felt they could close the gap. However, the team came up short, falling to Amherst by 11.

“Going into Sunday, knowing that we were only five strokes from the leader, we needed to play with a greater sense of urgency and determination, while committing to the importance of every shot,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said.
The Ephs were led by Anne O’Leary ’10, who shot a two-day total of 156. Just like last weekend at the Mt. Holyoke Invitational, her performance was good enough to tie for the second-lowest score by an individual on the weekend.
Rookie Victoria Student ’13, who has been a strong performer for the Ephs all season, posted the second lowest score for the Ephs with a 161. Mary Gelber ’10 added a 165 for the women while Becky Miller ’13 shot a 173, and Kait O’Brien ’10 scored a 178.

DeSanty was pleased with her team’s performance but still feels the women have room to improve. “As a team we continue to improve each week, and I am proud that we posted our lowest single-day score, and our lowest two-day total this weekend,” she said. “Our performance this weekend showed the great potential we have, but still we are not completely satisfied. The team is determined to play better and shoot lower – I am confident we can and will.”

The Ephs will go to work to prepare for the upcoming Williams Invitational at Waubeeka Golf Links. “This week we must commit to the importance of every shot,” said DeSanty. “During our practice rounds we will create a tournament-like atmosphere, helping us to not only prepare for the playing conditions at Waubeeka, but more importantly the mental strength, poise, and determination we will need going into this weekend.”
The Williams Invitational will be held this Saturday and Sunday at Waubeeka Golf Links.